Diving Caddis...

stenacron

Reaction score
or Egg-laying Caddis

This is a killer "happy hour" pattern all summer long when adult caddisflies are bouncing around during egg-laying. By over-powering your forward cast the fly will land with a nice little "splat" and draw vicious strikes in shallow bank runs and pools.

It's not my pattern - in fact I'm not exactly sure who the original creator is, but I first saw it on Mark Libertone's Flymphs, Soft-Hackles, and Spiders website several years ago, and have been tying/using with great success ever since.

-- Hook: #14 wet fly 1X long, 2X heavy (TMC 3761)
-- Thread: olive, UTC 70
-- Egg sac: med/dark olive (DMC embroidery floss nº 935)
-- Body: Hare’s Ear in a twisted dubbing loop (Leisenring style)
-- Ribbing: Flashabou (pearl)
-- Hackle: 2-3 turns gray partridge, stripped on top side (tying "sparse" is key)

P.S. Don't go any lighter than 4X tippet, or you will be breaking fish off... especially after dark (yes - they will find it and keep hitting it). ;)

dean_mt

Reaction score
Beautiful little fly, stenacron. I tie many variations on the dubbed-bodied soft hackle, they are wonderfully successful flies to fish in so many situations. I like this recipe and will be tying up a few.

While I agree with the "if ain't broke..." mantra, a slight variation on the diving caddis pattern is to tie in a sparse down-wing of clear antron fibers. In his research on caddisflies, Gary LaFontaine observed than they insects collect air bubble under their wings and it creates a very visible "aura" around the bug in the water. The antron mimics the shine of the bubbles.

fisher46

Reaction score
I love the old school wet fly patterns. The old "cow dung pattern" has the same kinda look. More green though. (The late 1700's i believe.)They definitely still catch fish.

stenacron

Reaction score
While I agree with the "if ain't broke..." mantra, a slight variation on the diving caddis pattern is to tie in a sparse down-wing of clear antron fibers. In his research on caddisflies, Gary LaFontaine observed than they insects collect air bubble under their wings and it creates a very visible "aura" around the bug in the water. The antron mimics the shine of the bubbles.
GLF's patterns are an interesting subject for me… back in the early 90's I attended The Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, NJ and Gary LaFontaine provided one of the seminars. His subject of course was Caddisflies and his slides were full of underwater pictures of various stages of caddisflies in action with emphasis on the metallic shine of the bubbles that attached to their bodies.

I was so fascinated by his presentation that I purchased his book, studied his patterns, and searched high and low for the true, DuPont tri-lobal Antron carpet fibers (not the commercial fly tying versions which are round extrusions). So I tied dozens of patterns in various colors and sizes and dedicated the following spring to fishing these patterns. Long-story-short the success never came. I was willing to endure the "learning curve" process too, but fish just continually ignored my offerings. Over years the fascination faded to the point where I have about a dozen or so left over that are tucked away in some obscure corner of one of my fly boxes, likely never to see that water again.

Years later I met up with some of the "old guard" while fishing Pocono streams and they got me into the soft hackles. After getting slapped around repeatedly by these guys I decided that there was really something to these flies and started off on another full plunge into the worlds of Leisenring, Hidy, Hughes, and Nemes. So I endured another "learning curve" but quickly realized that these patterns were the true key to unlocking caddisfly activity and the rest was history for me… I've been fishing them somewhat religiously ever since.

I remember GLF mentioning repeatedly at that seminar that his obsession with creating the "bubble" effect at times felt like he was trying imitate the impossible… and I'm not convinced that he ever got there. Perhaps I completely missed the boat, but my experiences had left me with zero confidence in his sparkle pupa and sparkle emerger patterns and not much better with respect to his larva or dancing/diving caddis patterns. To me, Antron is a very stiff, and very "fake" looking synthetic and about the only time I use it these days is for wing material. It's probably just 99% psychological based on my experiences, but I cringe just hearing the word "Antron." :icon_bigg

Anywho, sorry to rant and ramble on… this has always been a lively subject between me and my old fly-fishing buddies back East... and I always liked these two comparative pictures with respect to (wingless) soft hackles.

caddis pupa

Pale Green Itch Scratcher (after a dunking)

dean_mt

Reaction score
Thanks for the rant, It is a great topic. I never met Gary or got to hear him speak, I am just intrigued and fascinated by his research and truly innovative approach to fly tying. Now that doesn't mean that he was infallible of course. My biggest problem with the sparkle patterns are the seemingly endless yet very specific color combinations for different flies.

I ordered some clear Antron from a place in Helena that sells materials and tools that Gary created and used. I like it a lot for under-wings on stonefly patterns etc. It attracts light and creates a backdrop to silhouette the body. I use it sparingly!

While I am still very much influenced by GLFs writing, I also fish the good old dubbed-bodied wingless wets almost exclusively as well.

madjoni

Reaction score
GLF's patterns are an interesting subject for me… back in the early 90's I attended The Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, NJ and Gary LaFontaine provided one of the seminars. His subject of course was Caddisflies and his slides were full of underwater pictures of various stages of caddisflies in action with emphasis on the metallic shine of the bubbles that attached to their bodies.

I was so fascinated by his presentation that I purchased his book, studied his patterns, and searched high and low for the true, DuPont tri-lobal Antron carpet fibers (not the commercial fly tying versions which are round extrusions). So I tied dozens of patterns in various colors and sizes and dedicated the following spring to fishing these patterns. Long-story-short the success never came. I was willing to endure the "learning curve" process too, but fish just continually ignored my offerings. Over years the fascination faded to the point where I have about a dozen or so left over that are tucked away in some obscure corner of one of my fly boxes, likely never to see that water again.

Years later I met up with some of the "old guard" while fishing Pocono streams and they got me into the soft hackles. After getting slapped around repeatedly by these guys I decided that there was really something to these flies and started off on another full plunge into the worlds of Leisenring, Hidy, Hughes, and Nemes. So I endured another "learning curve" but quickly realized that these patterns were the true key to unlocking caddisfly activity and the rest was history for me… I've been fishing them somewhat religiously ever since.

I remember GLF mentioning repeatedly at that seminar that his obsession with creating the "bubble" effect at times felt like he was trying imitate the impossible… and I'm not convinced that he ever got there. Perhaps I completely missed the boat, but my experiences had left me with zero confidence in his sparkle pupa and sparkle emerger patterns and not much better with respect to his larva or dancing/diving caddis patterns. To me, Antron is a very stiff, and very "fake" looking synthetic and about the only time I use it these days is for wing material. It's probably just 99% psychological based on my experiences, but I cringe just hearing the word "Antron." :icon_bigg

Anywho, sorry to rant and ramble on… this has always been a lively subject between me and my old fly-fishing buddies back East... and I always liked these two comparative pictures with respect to (wingless) soft hackles.

caddis pupa

Pale Green Itch Scratcher (after a dunking)
Interesting experience!And I had different :)
I have one suggestion for you if you find that antron is stiff,use CDC for sparkle pupa and I can bet that you will have success ;)

L

Liphookedau

A really nice Fly,like Larry I'm about to tie some of The Caddis Pattern to try in the next few days as I think they will be a good Fly over here where it's Winter & The Caddis are about as we have had some nice days.
Even though the Temp doesn't go anywhere as low as you guys put up with,.
Friends & I all agree it's The Coldest one we can remember as The Winds are Freezing.
Thanks for Recipe.
Brian

stenacron

Reaction score
Interesting experience!And I had different :)
I have one suggestion for you if you find that antron is stiff,use CDC for sparkle pupa and I can bet that you will have success ;)
Even beyond the Antron bubble - ooh, there's that word again - GLF's method of "touch dubbing" doesn't seem to make for a very durable body either. Now, having said all that; Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine is THE DEFINITIVE STUDY on this subject from an angler, and for the angler, and still stands as one of the greatest books of all time on the subject of fly fishing. I still reference it often and find the descriptions to be very accurate and the information contained within to be extremely valuable. I just don't see eye-to-eye with the supporting patterns.

Back to the body of the fly for a minute, the pre-spun body types that Leisenring/Hidy/Hughes described and perfected are not only nearly indestructible, but also create a better illusion of life-like translucency IMO.

Here's a look at the spinning block that I made based on Hughes' description of Hidy's creation (Wet Flies by Dave Hughes). You can bang out an entire season's worth of bodies over the time span of a single NASCAR event by the way. :p

And here's a close-up of one of the "body cards" that I store on my bench.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Even beyond the Antron bubble - ooh, there's that word again - GLF's method of "touch dubbing" doesn't seem to make for a very durable body either. Now, having said all that; Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine is THE DEFINITIVE STUDY on this subject from an angler, and for the angler, and still stands as one of the greatest books of all time on the subject of fly fishing. I still reference it often and find the descriptions to be very accurate and the information contained within to be extremely valuable. I just don't see eye-to-eye with the supporting patterns.

Back to the body of the fly for a minute, the pre-spun body types that Leisenring/Hidy/Hughes described and perfected are not only nearly indestructible, but also create a better illusion of life-like translucency IMO.

Here's a look at the spinning block that I made based on Hughes' description of Hidy's creation (Wet Flies by Dave Hughes). You can bang out an entire season's worth of bodies over the time span of a single NASCAR event by the way. :p

And here's a close-up of one of the "body cards" that I store on my bench.
Dave Hughes is one of my other favorite fly tier / writers. I have adopted many of his wet fly techniques. But I have to say I am not familiar with this spinning block devise you have. Can you explain the method of twisting? When use dubbing loops its always just right on the hook, and it works great, but I can see how having a set of pre-fabbed threads would be a lot more efficient.

Thanks!

stenacron

Reaction score
Dave Hughes is one of my other favorite fly tier / writers. I have adopted many of his wet fly techniques. But I have to say I am not familiar with this spinning block devise you have. Can you explain the method of twisting? When use dubbing loops its always just right on the hook, and it works great, but I can see how having a set of pre-fabbed threads would be a lot more efficient.

Thanks!
Leisenring made it a point to pre-spin, and store all of his bodies… of course his method was to roll them on his pants leg which he describes in detail in his book. According to Dave Hughes' book, Leisenring's "student" Pete Hidy took this action off the pants leg and onto this spinning block. Basically you just need about a 5-6" piece of wood (notched in the center on the lower end), a couple pairs of finish nails (to line up the thread), and something to pinch down the thread (I stretched a material clip – spring – across the top of mine).

-1) Catch the thread in the material clip and run it the length of the block, between the finish nails.

-2) Roll out some more thread (a little more than what would be needed to stretch back to the clip) and let it hang in the bobbin off the block – resting in the notch.

-3) Take some super tacky wax and blot it on the thread – both in the working area, and on the part hanging off the block.

-4) Now take a small amount of your dubbing material, prepare it, and place it flat on top of the thread stretched between the nails)… spread it out about 2-3 inches.

-5) Now in your left hand, take a "hook type" dubbing loop tool (many of these are home made as well) and hook the hanging thread just below the block… then with your right hand, swing the bobbin up and bring the thread down between the nails (pinching the material between the two threads) and place it in the material clip.

-6) Now spin the loop tool a few times and then pick it up out of the notch in the wood while maintaining slight tension… this will twist the material into a perfect dubbing rope.

-7) Now grab both ends of the threaded loop and remove it from the block – maintaining tension – and then place it onto an index card with slits cut on each end. In time the wax will set nicely and you will have a virtually indestructible body.

Pre-spinning the bodies accomplishes two things; first, it reduces the time required to tie these flies, but secondly (and most important) it virtually guarantees that the material will be captured perfectly between the two strands of thread before twisting it into a rope.

Not sure if I described it sensibly here or not, but Dave Hughes goes into great detail on this subject in his book Wet Flies. Outside of Leisenring's The Art of Tying the Wet Fly – which is the soft hackle Bible as far as I'm concerned – Dave Hughes' book is the best I've seen/read on the subject of tying/fishing soft hackles.

Hope this helps...

Tight lines!

BigCliff

Reaction score
LaFontaine actually had a pattern called the diving caddis, and it looks a bit different-

Here's some info on the fly from Gary's company- LaFontaine Private Label - Diving Caddis

You'll notice it had dry fly hackle rather than soft hackle. If I recall correctly from his book "Trout Flies" (a much less dry read than Caddisflies), the diving caddis was designed to be greased up and fished across and down with a technique he called "the good, bad mend". The idea is to mend it repeatedly, making the fly twitch slightly with each mend with the intention of making it look alive.

My favorite wet fly is a version of Gary's diving caddis tied with partridge hackle. Swinging it under a foam line in slow moving water can produce a fish every cast.

rickyortiz

Reaction score
I tied up one of these a couple days ago and went out to try on a local river and I ended up landing the biggest trout i've caught on a fly rod so a big thank you for this pattern!!!!!!

stenacron

Reaction score
If I recall correctly from his book "Trout Flies" (a much less dry read than Caddisflies), the diving caddis was designed to be greased up and fished across and down with a technique he called "the good, bad mend". The idea is to mend it repeatedly, making the fly twitch slightly with each mend with the intention of making it look alive.
The "good, bad mend", I'll have to remember that phrase. That's exactly how you have to fish most wet flies on a down and across approach because many times you're standing mid-stream and alternately fishing both banks... so you have to constantly mend to keep the fly on a semi-slack drift to keep it from ripping away from the bank.

Dancing it across the tailouts of pools draws explosive strikes as well, but tougher to get a solid hook-up when they hit it directly downstream.

BigCliff

Reaction score
The "good, bad mend", I'll have to remember that phrase. That's exactly how you have to fish most wet flies on a down and across approach because many times you're standing mid-stream and alternately fishing both banks... so you have to constantly mend to keep the fly on a semi-slack drift to keep it from ripping away from the bank.

Dancing it across the tailouts of pools draws explosive strikes as well, but tougher to get a solid hook-up when they hit it directly downstream.
Yeah, its nice when doing something "barely wrong" is exactly right.