Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: EP Fibers

1. Default EP Fibers

Dose any one know how to tie with EP fibers as far as making a head. Do you stack it like you would a wool head?. I thought I would tie up some sculpins. Any one have any ideas?. I just can't get used to all tis new material.
    I was fly tying and fly fishing before it got trendy.

2. Default Re: EP Fibers

Hi:

As far as tieing with the EP fibers i found The easiest is to tie with as little material as possible..

For a minnow pattern I use Gamagatsu SC 15 Size 1/0 I usually start the thread about a third of the way down the from the hook eye and lay the EP fibers on the top of the hook and on the bottom repeating the process and when I get to the head I will lay a few fibers down the side and finish with an eye on each side.

For a muddler minnow type fly I would tie a little bite at a time makeing my way forward to the head .. If you have some pieces about 3 inches long. lay them down on the hook and wrap the thread around it in the middle then pull back and repeat. try it with as little material as possible and add more as you get use to the material...
    I started to shy away from wool heads and EP fibers For heads. I still tie muddler type minnows I just use Squirrel strips now...

I hope this help's

Cheers: dave

3. Default Re: EP Fibers

DMV, Thanks for the info,it really helps me out. Thanks..
    Tight lines..

Default Re: EP Fibers

You could always try making a dubbing brush out of it, wrap the head with that and then trim it into the shape you like. I do this fairly often with inch long pieces of glo-bug yarn pulled out into a 2"x1" rectangle with all the fibers paralell.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

5. Thumbs up Re: EP Fibers

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    You could always try making a dubbing brush out of it, wrap the head with that and then trim it into the shape you like. I do this fairly often with inch long pieces of glo-bug yarn pulled out into a 2"x1" rectangle with all the fibers paralell.
    BigCliff ,sounds like you use a dubbing loop. I'm off to the tying bench and try this. Thanks for the info. BTW, what hooks do you use?. All the flies I have seen here are tied on GamaKatsu hooks.

Default Re: EP Fibers

I tend to go the cheap route, and tie them on the standard grade Mustad hooks. I use some Orvis and Umpqua/Tiemco hooks here and there, but not that often.

That said, most all of my streamers larger than size 8 get tied on Stainless hooks, so much for my cheapness mantra.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.