micro trebles

littledavid123

Reaction score
Never heard of using trebles while fly fishing, think of them more for spin fishing. Must be a thing across the pond.

Dave

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Laurie, while I love your flies and am in awe of your talent, treble hooks spell disaster for fish when it comes to practicing simple catch-and-release and I would never recommend them to anyone for fly fishing applications. Sorry.:(

To others reading this, I'm not trying to pick a fight, just my opinion...

Kelly.

laurie

Reaction score
Kelly i agree with you they should be banned altogether over here and scandinavia.
i tied these up for customer who fishes for Salmon in Norway and Iceland, he was catching salmon up to 25lb on them and also sea trout.
Afew of the guys use them on Lough Currane in waterford.
I hate to imagine the state of the fish when they try catch and release.
Lets hope the government and the serious angler pushes legislation to come in line with you guys as i never hear any one across the pond moaning about barbless singles.
i am in awe of you lot

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Laurie: I can only imagine what your fingers look like after tying up those beautiful flies. That must have taken a lot of patience trying to turn thread and avoiding three hooks!

Pocono

Reaction score
Laurie, while I love your flies and am in awe of your talent, treble hooks spell disaster for fish when it comes to practicing simple catch-and-release and I would never recommend them to anyone for fly fishing applications. Sorry.:(
Agree, 100%.

Thanks for the clarification, Laurie. I, too, don't know how you tied them up and saved your fingertips at the same time.........

Pocono

silvertip8k

Reaction score
many of the better places I fish wont even allow use of barbed hooks...I am curious...are folks where you fish keeping everything they catch?

that would explain the trips...if not...I agree...they should be not allowed...one of the streams I fish a lot allowed spin anglers...and it was a C&R...crazy...but some groups pettioned the state(Colorado, the Dream Stream)...the damage a triple barbed hook does in enormous(especially with rapalas or similar)...generally ruining the trouts ability to even function...they might as well be kept for the grill, and not be wasted...because we usually find them dead on the bank...when you release as careful as possible a nice 22" brown trout, that you caught on a barbless hook...then wade down the bank and find one even bigger dead...with blood all over it...it definetely makes you sick...

this has caused a lot of tension among different groups of anglers...I for one only think killing fish is OK where they are part of a restocking program in streams and lakes, or ocean species of course would be different...JMHO

sorry for the rant...but it is something we deal with regularly...nice patterns...like the wire wrap...

Last edited:

Joni

Reaction score
Kelly, I have been fighting the use of Trebles on C&R waters here. This is not only C&R but the Bonneville Cutt are protected.
The lake has become more and more popular thanks to some Twins.
Here was my case:

BUT, if you were going for Steelhead and planned on keeping, I could see these hooks.

Interesting Flies and very well done.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Laurie, thanks for the clarification. I, too, wonder how you were able to accomplish those works of art without some major blood-letting :D The flies are beautiful, let's hope those that can will see to some changes to protect the resource.

Joni, Ah, the 'infamous' "twins", too bad there are those who scoff at conservation and protecting the resource for the future in the name of "well, if it's legal, what's the problem?" The problem is that it may be legal, but the collateral damage to protected species is the concern.

Once again, I am not trying to stir things. Laurie's flies are incredible and I will not do anything to discount that.

Thanks, Laurie, you are an inspiration to us all and I hope to meet you someday.

Kelly.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Well there are 'rules,' then there are "rules" and they vary by water. Just walk into a 'sporting goods' store and vast majority of what you'll see in the way of 'spinners' will have a treb-hook. Can you legally use same? Water dependent and those are intended to be catch and retain (still water 'putt and take' if you will).

Quite a few of the UK rivers allow these hooks for Sea Trout, etc. Only thing 'wrong' is getting one of these things out of a fish jaw is a total pain where one sits.

Just my .02 cents.:shades:

laurie

Reaction score
Looks like tying a live porcupines feet together would be easier.

Dave
Brilliant description:D

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

many of the better places I fish wont even allow use of barbed hooks...I am curious...are folks where you fish keeping everything they catch?

that would explain the trips...if not...I agree...they should be not allowed...one of the streams I fish a lot allowed spin anglers...and it was a C&R...crazy...but some groups pettioned the state(Colorado, the Dream Stream)...the damage a triple barbed hook does in enormous(especially with rapalas or similar)...generally ruining the trouts ability to even function...they might as well be kept for the grill, and not be wasted...because we usually find them dead on the bank...when you release as careful as possible a nice 22" brown trout, that you caught on a barbless hook...then wade down the bank and find one even bigger dead...with blood all over it...it definetely makes you sick...

this has caused a lot of tension among different groups of anglers...I for one only think killing fish is OK where they are part of a restocking program in streams and lakes, or ocean species of course would be different...JMHO

sorry for the rant...but it is something we deal with regularly...nice patterns...like the wire wrap...
I can only agree with you 100% on your quote ,over here you get a lot of guys trophy hunting, kill the fish and put them in the freezer.
Then at the end of the year they dump them.
Now to me that is tragic, as if they had gone barbless and did catch and release they may have had the chance of hooking into that beauty again .
Just goes to show there are a lot of small minded angler over here,but we are working towards catch and release