Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: micro trebles

Talking micro trebles

spent the weekend tying up micro trebles for the summer salmon
    size 14,16,18
    now to put a bit of healing cream on my fingers

2. Likes fredaevans liked this post

Talking Re: micro trebles

Never heard of using trebles while fly fishing, think of them more for spin fishing. Must be a thing across the pond.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: micro trebles

Looks hard to do without gorking a finger or cutting your thread.

Blog Entries

Laurie, while I love your flies and am in awe of your talent, treble hooks spell disaster for fish when it comes to practicing simple catch-and-release and I would never recommend them to anyone for fly fishing applications. Sorry.

To others reading this, I'm not trying to pick a fight, just my opinion...

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

6. Likes imxer, jpbfly liked this post

Kelly i agree with you they should be banned altogether over here and scandinavia.
    i tied these up for customer who fishes for Salmon in Norway and Iceland, he was catching salmon up to 25lb on them and also sea trout.
    Afew of the guys use them on Lough Currane in waterford.
    I hate to imagine the state of the fish when they try catch and release.
    Lets hope the government and the serious angler pushes legislation to come in line with you guys as i never hear any one across the pond moaning about barbless singles.
    i am in awe of you lot

8. Likes mcnerney, fredaevans, jpbfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

Laurie: I can only imagine what your fingers look like after tying up those beautiful flies. That must have taken a lot of patience trying to turn thread and avoiding three hooks!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
    Laurie, while I love your flies and am in awe of your talent, treble hooks spell disaster for fish when it comes to practicing simple catch-and-release and I would never recommend them to anyone for fly fishing applications. Sorry.
    Agree, 100%.

Thanks for the clarification, Laurie. I, too, don't know how you tied them up and saved your fingertips at the same time.........

Pocono

Looks like tying a live porcupines feet together would be easier.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

12. Likes mcnerney, fredaevans liked this post

many of the better places I fish wont even allow use of barbed hooks...I am curious...are folks where you fish keeping everything they catch?

that would explain the trips...if not...I agree...they should be not allowed...one of the streams I fish a lot allowed spin anglers...and it was a C&R...crazy...but some groups pettioned the state(Colorado, the Dream Stream)...the damage a triple barbed hook does in enormous(especially with rapalas or similar)...generally ruining the trouts ability to even function...they might as well be kept for the grill, and not be wasted...because we usually find them dead on the bank...when you release as careful as possible a nice 22" brown trout, that you caught on a barbless hook...then wade down the bank and find one even bigger dead...with blood all over it...it definetely makes you sick...

this has caused a lot of tension among different groups of anglers...I for one only think killing fish is OK where they are part of a restocking program in streams and lakes, or ocean species of course would be different...JMHO

sorry for the rant...but it is something we deal with regularly...nice patterns...like the wire wrap...
    Last edited by silvertip8k; 01-22-2013 at 11:53 AM.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
    public water 20"er
    public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
    a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
    ...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
    http://wmflyrodco.com/

14. Default Re: micro trebles

Kelly, I have been fighting the use of Trebles on C&R waters here. This is not only C&R but the Bonneville Cutt are protected.
    The lake has become more and more popular thanks to some Twins.
    Here was my case:

BUT, if you were going for Steelhead and planned on keeping, I could see these hooks.

Interesting Flies and very well done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast