Pope and Young / spey style

silvertip8k

Reaction score
Hello...this is my second SBS...it was easier than my first one...but still room for improvement...

cold and snowy here today...need a project to kill some time...and tie up a few regulars...plus I am a newbie at the SBS deal...so here goes try #2

its a taily little beast...but it makes some wiggles that drive the fish wild...

here is a super simple pattern I tie when the others hurt too much:(...roomatiz...that is rheumatism ...LOL...as in arthritis...I can tie up 6-8 or so in a hour...only a few materials...but its functional...and has accounted for numerous steelhead and trout...with both my spey and 10ft 6weight too...its a great pattern for first time tyers...and a good base for many combinations...

it can also be tied in a trout version(which how it started) in a smaller hook...smaller wings and shorter tail...it has been a very successful pattern fishing the South platt River in Colorado as part of a dropper rig...

its an easy casting fly...when all else fails...I pitch this...I have tied it in several different color variations...darker wing, lighter and darker body etc...also I have tied it with tinsel ribs too...but this is the simplest version...and the one I like the best...I even tried it with an articulting rig too...

materials used...(yep...some more stuff from the ranch)but can be easily replaced w/ other stuff...

hook #6 Tiemco 7999 ,6-8
Elk Mane for tail
Buffalo wool for dubbing
gadwall body for wings and drops...
black dacron thread
super glue & 5 minute epoxy

some elk mane is tied onto the hook...a little super glue is glazed over the wraps to secure the mane ...if you tighten the elk fur to hard it flares up too much...

I use some buffalo wool for the dubbing...regular dubbing could be used or even some chenile ...I had to pick out some leftover alfalfa...something left over from its previous user...

I spin and wax it about 2 1/2" or 7-8cm...

I wrap it by hand...then follow with the bobbin spiral about every 1/8"...4 to 5 wraps...then tie off and start a head...

next I pick out two gadwall (mallard , teal or similar are fine)and pull off then down to get a smooth stalk...

I tie them on with 3 wraps...fairly snug...but loose enough so I can adjust the length and disposition...

after I get a length I like...a bit longer that the hook by maybe 1/4 -3/8"(10mm) I tie it off snug at a slight angle...whip it and then tidy up the head...

I split the wing to allow for some drops...I wax this up good...find a shape I like...apply a bit of super glue or zap a gap to secure in place...wrap a few more times w/ thread to maintain location...

I pick out the feathers a bit more...a little more wax...and youre done...a real easy tie...sometimes if it dosent stay where I like it I dab a small amonut of glue to hold the feathers together...

trim it up...and tie up another...

some flash , tinsel ribs, or lighter or darker dubbing can make it a totally different look...a good base for someone new at tying...

"Pope & Young" is a quality or record book caliber of mature animal harvested by archery gear...my oldest son was with me when I harvested my first P&Y white tailed deer...on the way to our stands that morning we jumped a flock of gadwalls in a stream we had to cross...the original tie of this I did was for trout...a bit smaller...and I used gadwall and fur from that buck...so I made this up to remember that hunt...it has been a really successful pattern for me...even though it is so simple...

here I am a few years ago with that buck...I shot it on public land that used to be private and posted heavily, surronded by very wealthy "Tally Ho" horse ranches ... very close to the farmland where I grew ...when I was younger we called it the "forbidden forest", because it was loaded with really nice deer...but very illegal to set foot on...almost 35 years later, the state bought it...and made it a bowhunting only area...and I got my chance... 139 pts P&Y...

Last edited: