Mista_Bob's Glitter Midge

mista_bob

Reaction score

Mista_Bob's Glitter Midge

This is my all-time most productive fly by a mile. Like I said in the "What Are You Tying Thread," I've caught rainbows, browns, brook, cutthroat, kokanee, chubs, suckers, sculpin, and minnows using this fly. It works year round, every year, everywhere out here in Idaho. It's a ridiculous fly that's ridiculously effective. :D

Hook: Umpqua U202 Size 10-20 (cheap, but sinfully sharp)
Glass Bead sized to hook (I prefer translucent rainbow color)
Lead behind the bead - a couple wraps
Red Thread of any sort (I prefer flat waxed)
Wet and Wild - Wild Shine Glitter Nail Polish
Sally Hansen Hard as Nails

Pretty straightforward to make. Tie as usual, gloss it with a couple layers of Wet and Wild Glitter nail polish, let dry for ~10 mins then coat with a couple layers of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails. Personally to save time, I will tie up a dozen or so at once, hang them all by the hook point or pin them in place, then gloss with glitter, wait, then use SHHAN. Otherwise it'll take forever to finish a dozen flies.

Yes, I use glitter nail polish. Yes, it's amazingly effective, much more than a red zebra midge. Like I said, it's silly, but it works. You're welcome! :D

kayo

Reaction score
Thanks Mista Bob, will defiitnetly try some on the Boise river.

mista_bob

Reaction score
Thanks Mista Bob, will defiitnetly try some on the Boise river.
Are you manly enough to use glitter nail polish?! Just kidding. But my daughter does think these flies are pretty. ;)

It works magic over here on this side of the state, don't see why it wouldn't over there. I've used it with great success on the South Fork of the Snake, the Henry's Fork, the main Snake River, and tons of little creeks and lakes around here.

Good luck!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Bob

Great looking midge pattern! Guess I need to start using Wild Shine Glitter Nail Polish. Wonder what the odds are of being able to find that in Pinedale, WY. :D
Where do you get your translucent rainbow color beads?

Larry

mista_bob

Reaction score
Bob

Great looking midge pattern! Guess I need to start using Wild Shine Glitter Nail Polish. Wonder what the odds are of being able to find that in Pinedale, WY. :D
Where do you get your translucent rainbow color beads?

Larry
There are a couple brands that make them including Spirit River's Hi Lite glass beads and a couple lesser know and generic brands. Pretty cheap either way. The translucent rainbow color gives them a nice sheen and color shift that's hard to capture in a photo versus a plain clear glass bead.

mista_bob

Reaction score
OK, thanks! If Spirit River makes them it shouldn't be too difficult to locate.
Very true. Sportsmans Warehouse and Jimmy's All Seasons Angler sell them here. Should be somewhere in or near Pinedale that sells 'em. I haven't been to Pinedale lately. But Jackson, yes. Lots of fly shops. You live near some great waters!

Good luck on the glitter nail polish! :)

mista_bob

Reaction score

Mista_Bob's Glitter Midge in action!

Went out late this morning for a couple hours to try out my new prototype 10' foot 3 wt rods and caught 12 fish. 8 of them were on my red Glitter Midge, the other 4 on a dark olive caddis nymph with UV lavender dubbing for the collar. :D

lacanadio

Reaction score
I bet this sucker would work great on the San Juan. Tied a bit smaller, of course, but not much. Hats off. :worthy:

Bob

kayo

Reaction score
I bet this sucker would work great on the San Juan. Tied a bit smaller, of course, but not much. Hats off. :worthy:

Bob
A bit smaller, no way. In the 80s we tied them on 12. Love the Texan Hole. ;). Cable Hole was my favorite.