I think I am catching "Brassy-itis"

noreaster

Reaction score
I think I am being taken by the dark side. :starwars:

I am intrigued about the whole Czech nymph thing. I have been tying a few and want to experience it and see if I can work it out. Still need to work on a little cleaner finish around the head.

I do have a question though. Are they as likely to work on sea run brookies as well as the steelies?

Cheers
phil

williamhj

Reaction score
Great looking flies! Thanks for posting them.

When you talk about getting a cleaner finish around the head, what in particular are you hoping to change on the flies?

dean_mt

Reaction score
Great looking bunch of flies man! I really dig all the little flourishes and personal touches on the wing pads and cases. Don't worry about the little tags at the head, the fish won't care at all!

williamhj

Reaction score
That's what I wondered but I feel like I see a lot like that. I also think the flies where the thread is red can serve as a hot spot.
One idea if you do want to reduce the thread is the use a bit of dubbing then a dot of superglue on the thread for the whip finish, but I don't know that you need it. They look great!

dean_mt

Reaction score
Thanks, no prob.:)
I was thinking less thread and less material peeking out around where the thread meets the brass.
I've always had that problem when trying off boots close to the bead on the prince nymph. After the material is secured with a couple wraps, try pulling the waste end back, toward the rear of the fly, and put a couple locking turns in then clip it close. The you can go finish off the little collar with 3 or 4 turn whip.

Its a lot easier said than done on little hooks. A clean, small tie-off behind a bead head is one of the trickier tricks in tying, in my opinion.

This makes me want to tie some flies. I've been consumed with my rod project and haven't tied in awhile.

chased

Reaction score
Nice looking flies! Brassie variants work well in a lot of the small streams I fish. Red in particular is a trout slayer. I really your red one with a red thread body, and wire rib. The braid you used for the wing case really makes it pop!

-Chase