Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
  1. Default Sturdy's Fancy - a deadly Californian beetle!!

I spent the week fishing Hot Creek, a spring-fed stream in the Eastern Sierra Nevada mountains with wild, catch and release dry-fly only fishing. When the afternoon wind picked up (howled), the go to flies were small beetles and nothing outperformed the Sturdy's Fancy (that I picked up from the SBS on this forum). In one session, it brought 3 large fish to the net, and this handsome looking Brownie the next session. Nice fly, worth a try.

Thanks for the SBS from Richard Ward's Derbyshire flybox, a great fly I would not otherwise have encountered, tied, or thought to use.

Dry Fly 'Expert': Now is the time for...

PS trimmed the red floss butt waterside - too long in the pic, should be the length of the hook gape

Thread: Red or purple
    Hook: generic barbless dry 16-18
    Tail: red floss
    Body: Peacock herl
    Hackle: white hebert-miner silver

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sturdy's Fancy - a deadly Californian beetle!!

Hugh: Congrats on the great looking Brown Trout!
    Awhile back I was reading Trout Food by Ralph Cutter and he mentioned that it was common in the afternoon thermals for beetles and small hoppers to get blown into high mtn lakes where normally you wouldn't expect to find them. Not sure if that was the case where you were fishing or not, but an interesting observation none the less.
    Larry

3. Likes la_jolla1 liked this post
  4. Default Re: Sturdy's Fancy - a deadly Californian beetle!!

Yup, that was my logic - couldn't check the gastric contents because C&R, but they rose readily and nailed them, the takes were crushing!

LJ can you put up a better pic to look at?...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
    public water 20"er
    public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
    a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
    ...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
    http://wmflyrodco.com/

6. Default Re: Sturdy's Fancy - a deadly Californian beetle!!

This is what Hot Creek looks like...The dry fly restriction only applies to the private Hot Creek Ranch property.

When the wind is howling in the canyon, I have found that skating a spider can induce some rather spectacular takes from some very large fish...the technique is discussed here, at Midcurrent:

Unmatching the Hatch | MidCurrent

Beetles work well on a lot of the higher elevation lakes in that area too...It was Gary LaFontaine who first described how they are literally lifted from lower elevation locations into high elevation lakes...In his book "Fly Fishing The Mountain Lakes":

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Mountain-Lakes-Gary-LaFontaine/dp/1585747742"]Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes: Gary LaFontaine: 9781585747740: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41A6GNYYKEL.@@AMEPARAM@@41A6GNYYKEL[/ame]

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 06-10-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/