Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default Some new Dabbler patterns

Finished 2 new dabbler patterns for my trip ti the uk in a fortnight.
    Meeting up with some of the international guys for a weeks fishing

2. Likes williamhj, jaybo41, Kerry Pitt, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Some new Dabbler patterns

I have always like the Dabbler pattern and would like to tie some up and try them out. Are they primarily a stillwater pattern? I know I can do research and I will but I would love to here anything you would care to share about tying and fishing these patterns. Nice work and thanks for posting!!
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

Blog Entries

Laurie: Sweet looking patterns!
    Larry

Hi Kerry
    The dabbler pattern was designed by a good friend of mine Donald McClaren who just lives down the road from me.
    I would say that this pattern has been the most successful lough fly to be produced in the past 20 years.

It is mainly a pulling fly and works great when pulled through a big wave to within 3 feet of the boat then dangled for a few seconds before casting out again.
    Tied mainly on a size 10or 12 Kamasan B 170 for normal trout fishing and a B175 if you are fishing loughs where there is sea trout and Salmon.
    I have tied these on a size 8 and tried them on the rivers for Atlantic salmon and caught fish, and I have also tied them down to size 4 and 6 for guys fishing in BC for steelhead and Argentina for sea trout.
    I am actually heading off to England next week to field test some of these with a few friends from the English National team so I will let you guys know how they perform
    All the best
    Laurie

Blog Entries

Thanks Laurie, I have always liked the pattern and I will tie a few up while I am stuck at home healing up. I intend to fish more still water this year so I hope to give them a try. Do you fish more that one fly? I will have to look up the technique for fishing them further. Thanks again….
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.