Beginner's nymph and questions

querorz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I caught my first fishes on fly rod a couple days ago. These were coarse fishes(European Species like Rudd) . They were interested in most of the nymph patterns but the ones with bead attracted more fish.

This one was the favourite(i bought it. Not tied it myself)

I wanted to tie something similar to that. I used a white bead instead of a golden one. Do you think a white bead will work fine? Because i never see white beads on flies. Mostly reflective materials like gold or silver. My dubbing is too thick i guess.

I wonder 1 thing really: For example while you are fishing for bass you can use 1000 colors of the same lure pattern and be successful pretty much all the time(even if the lure has extremely crazy colors) .

What about for fly fishing? How accurate should colors be? Can i tie a nymph in crazy colors(that doesn't exist in nature) and be successful or does it have to be in the exactly same colors with what's in the nature? I hope i am clear here.

A bass will attack a purple fishing lure , even though there are no purple fishes in his diet. What about for fly patterns? Will fishes like a purple fly or nymph?

Thanks guys.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the PICs. I'm not certain what you intend to fish for, but many species will hit non-natural colors. Some fish often seem to prefer them to natural colors. As far as the bead heads, metallic are often a better choice here, but that does not mean a white bead can not catch fish. At times it does not make any difference if a nymph has a bead head or not.

As far as whether your nymph has too much dubbing. The fish will let you know what they think. If material gets too close to the hook barb, it can prevent good hook set though.

Good luck. Try out your new fly and tell us how it works.

gregnash

Reaction score
One thing to remember when comparing to bass is that they are incredibly aggressive and territorial. So with that said, they can and will hit anything they see as a threat or possible food.

I am learning nymphing for trout and find that they are very particular as to what they are biting. So far the favorite I have are a Zug Bug and Zebra Midge.

What are you fishing for again??

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
Congrats on your first fishes on the fly rod and same to your fly. That looks very good, I'd expect a lot of fish to give it a look.

I'd love to see some rough fish. Where you from?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I really like the looks of your nymph (has a nice buggy look), but be careful not to decrease the natural hook gape. Compare the two nymphs and you will see what I'm talking about.

Larry

random user

Reaction score
Congrats of the fish - now yu are really hooked.

I would agree with your observation that your nymph is a bit over dubbed. Looks like you the gape a bit which is going to make hook sets a bit difficult. Fish it anyhow, and fish it hard.

Beads are sometimes for weight, sometimes for sparkle, sometimes of color. Copper gold and silver are the most popular. I use a lot of glass beads because of the translucence and they don't sink as fast as metal beads. Then again, I fish mostly shallow places.

Purple is an effective fly color because fish can see it more easily at depth. Violet and ultra violet light penetrate more deeply into the water. If you go deep enough (far below fly fishing depths) red becomes a nearly invisible shade of medium grey.

If you tie, keep notes.... tie, fish, observe, take notes, modify, tie, fish, observe, take notes, read old notes, modify, tie, fish, observe, take notes, read old notes, repeat, lather and rinse.

As far a crazy colors, I tie a stone fly nymph with a mix of wool dubbing which is 2 parts purple, 1 part olive and 1/2 part dark red and 1/2 part brown. I dub it to form a mottled body. Looks a little weird, but it works.

querorz

Reaction score
Thank you all guys so much. ia_trouter, gregnash, buddhist_palm, mecnerney,random user, i appreciate it. I am shocked of seeing how generous you are to share your knowledge with foreigners every single time i ask you guys something.

I am from Turkey. We have no fly fishing here. It's is a miracle that i even caught some fishes with fly.

I catch coarse fishes with nymphes. This is an American forum, so you don't know some of these species: Rudd, Roach or fishes like shiners. Small species. These fishes are easy to catch with fly. So i target them. There is no trout, salmon or other predator species around.

We have pike but lakes are so weedy and my 5-6# rod is not suitable for big flies. There is a river with carps in it and water level is pretty shallow too. I might try to catch carp with fly. In this river i guess people feed them with bread and these carps will take bread all the time. A bread fly might work but i don't have suitable material to do that.

Here, in Turkey most of the rivers are corrupted so badly. So, fly fishing is not practiced easily. Lakes are deep and it's so hard to catch fish in a lake without a boat. I had luck to catch these coarse fishes because there was no wind and water was so clear. I could cast it to where fish were. Dang, i hate it here in Turkey. I say that in all of my posts, but i am tired of not having any good fishing here. I will move to the USA as soon as i got 5 million bucks in my bank account and die happy there... Do you mind me crying?

I understand what you saying about gape. I have tied only 2-3 flies so far. So i am a little unexperienced. I hope i will get better in time.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Thank you all guys so much. ia_trouter, gregnash, buddhist_palm, mecnerney,random user, i appreciate it. I am shocked of seeing how generous you are to share your knowledge with foreigners every single time i ask you guys something.

I am from Turkey. We have no fly fishing here. It's is a miracle that i even caught some fishes with fly.

I catch coarse fishes with nymphes. This is an American forum, so you don't know some of these species: Rudd, Roach or fishes like shiners. Small species. These fishes are easy to catch with fly. So i target them. There is no trout, salmon or other predator species around.

We have pike but lakes are so weedy and my 5-6# rod is not suitable for big flies. There is a river with carps in it and water level is pretty shallow too. I might try to catch carp with fly. In this river i guess people feed them with bread and these carps will take bread all the time. A bread fly might work but i don't have suitable material to do that.

Here, in Turkey most of the rivers are corrupted so badly. So, fly fishing is not practiced easily. Lakes are deep and it's so hard to catch fish in a lake without a boat. I had luck to catch these coarse fishes because there was no wind and water was so clear. I could cast it to where fish were. Dang, i hate it here in Turkey. I say that in all of my posts, but i am tired of not having any good fishing here. I will move to the USA as soon as i got 5 million bucks in my bank account and die happy there... Do you mind me crying?

I understand what you saying about gape. I have tied only 2-3 flies so far. So i am a little unexperienced. I hope i will get better in time.
I'm sure in the past you've seen those foam brushes that are used to clean your dishes... Find a yellow one... Cut out a chunk of foam... Take a brown marker and color one end... That's the crust... Put it on a hook... Now you got a bread fly. Also carp will take all kinds of other flies... Nymphs... Buggers... Etc. So don't feel you need a bread fly to catch a carp.

Also for deep water try fishing at dawn and dusk or even at night if it allows... This'll increase your chances of catching fish that retreat to the safer deeper water during the day... But come in shallow in low light conditions to feed.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't feel like you are alone, we all make the same mistakes when first starting to learn to tie flies, too much material and crowding the eye of the hook are pretty much the mistakes we all make. Just something to think about when tying and trying to avoid.

Glad to have you fly fishing and participating on the forum and best of luck with your tying and going after Carp, they can be quite the challenge but well worth the effort to figure out how to catch on a fly rod.

Larry

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
we as anglers have to make the best of the areas we live when we go fishing

turkey doesnt seem like the fly fishing mecca of the world but maybe your just a pioneer

carp are great fun on the fly and maybe you should explore these further

they will take all sorts of nymphs and simple flies as well as
"bread" imitations

querorz

Reaction score
I'm sure in the past you've seen those foam brushes that are used to clean your dishes... Find a yellow one... Cut out a chunk of foam... Take a brown marker and color one end... That's the crust... Put it on a hook... Now you got a bread fly. Also carp will take all kinds of other flies... Nymphs... Buggers... Etc. So don't feel you need a bread fly to catch a carp.

Also for deep water try fishing at dawn and dusk or even at night if it allows... This'll increase your chances of catching fish that retreat to the safer deeper water during the day... But come in shallow in low light conditions to feed.
Itchmesir thanks for the advice. I have a lot of dish foams in my kitchen. I will use them to tie some.

You know, in a lake(let's say the depth is 10 ft) you cast your baits with a sinker and just wait. How does that happen in fly fishing? Should i cast it and wait until a fish comes and gets it?

Don't feel like you are alone, we all make the same mistakes when first starting to learn to tie flies, too much material and crowding the eye of the hook are pretty much the mistakes we all make. Just something to think about when tying and trying to avoid.

Glad to have you fly fishing and participating on the forum and best of luck with your tying and going after Carp, they can be quite the challenge but well worth the effort to figure out how to catch on a fly rod.

Larry
Thank you Larry. I am trying my best. So glad to have you guys to help me.

we as anglers have to make the best of the areas we live when we go fishing

turkey doesnt seem like the fly fishing mecca of the world but maybe your just a pioneer

carp are great fun on the fly and maybe you should explore these further

they will take all sorts of nymphs and simple flies as well as
"bread" imitations
What are the chances of getting a carp on the fly? Is it a common thing to catch carps on fly?

Should i cast my bait and just leave it after sinking down or wait for a couple seconds and cast again?

Guys with your guidance, i tied that fly again. I tied and untied these about 3 times each, until i got some satisfactory results. Since the hook i use is soooo small i can't tie it very well. On red body part i couldn't hide the line but i guess the fish will like these. I think one of them is still a little too fat while the other one is a little too skinny :) .

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
What are the chances of getting a carp on the fly? Is it a common thing to catch carps on fly?

Should i cast my bait and just leave it after sinking down or wait for a couple seconds and cast again?
oh, you'll get em

try sight fishing for feeding carp

sinking sure but stripping and twitching it in his face might be good too

ive been looking at the internet at fly fishing in turkey

depending on where you are, there really seems to be quite a diverse fishing scene over there

seems like you guys have a wide range of climates over there, from coastal, mountain, desert, and a bit of everything in between

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I think you may find that both of those nymphs will work. A lot of carp are caught on the fly in Europe and the US for sure.

Does your pike lake freeze in winter and kill the weeds? I am guessing yes because that is usually the climate where pike live. If so, you might want to try that lake in late winter and very early spring. Your 5WT should cast a small streamer well enough and that could catch some pike. If you catch pike or carp on your 5WT I think you will have a permanent smile. You will need to use a good leader or even a smaller pike will bite off your tippet with ease.

querorz

Reaction score
First of all, HELP GUYS! My nymphs sink soooo fast. It takes 1 second to get to the bottom. I use angora wool as dubbing material and apparently it soaks all the water and makes the fly too heavy. Also the red part of the fly is a wool. Should i change the material? What else can i try using?

oh, you'll get em

try sight fishing for feeding carp

sinking sure but stripping and twitching it in his face might be good too

ive been looking at the internet at fly fishing in turkey

depending on where you are, there really seems to be quite a diverse fishing scene over there

seems like you guys have a wide range of climates over there, from coastal, mountain, desert, and a bit of everything in between
Sight fishing is not possible because they never come up but i will try.

Thanks for making a research for me but unfortunately you'll find nothing about Fly Fishing in Turkey :) . We have a lot of species but the problem is not about species.

The problem is pollution and people being savage. They never release fishes. They cast nets, they use dynamits and all kind of ugly things. The joy of fishing means nothing to them. They just care about fish meat and that's it. I release fishes all the time and most of the people think i am idiot.
When you go to a lake you will see plastic bottles and bags everywhere. So ugly...

I think you may find that both of those nymphs will work. A lot of carp are caught on the fly in Europe and the US for sure.

Does your pike lake freeze in winter and kill the weeds? I am guessing yes because that is usually the climate where pike live. If so, you might want to try that lake in late winter and very early spring. Your 5WT should cast a small streamer well enough and that could catch some pike. If you catch pike or carp on your 5WT I think you will have a permanent smile. You will need to use a good leader or even a smaller pike will bite off your tippet with ease.
Our lakes don't freeze. Not cold enough unfortunately. But i guess some of the weeds do die. I will try to do that soon . TY :)

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
a few links

vimeo trout in turkey
[ame=http://vimeo.com/14720576]fly fishing for rainbow trout on Vimeo[/ame]

ebi fisher on you tube - lots of videos
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-yIXJ5s6B4]fly fishing in the turkey by ebi fisher - YouTube[/ame]

a turkey fishing blog
ابی فیشر

researching brown trout locations in Turkey
Norm Crisp on Fly Fishing and his Travel Adventures: TURKISH TROUT

turkey fishing forum - few pages to dig through
Fishing in Turkey - Turkish Living Forums

half the fun in fishing for me is using the internet to research

i think you could even dig up more if you put in the time

querorz

Reaction score
buddhist_palm i appreciate your helps so much. I know that you might think that i am wrong at saying there is no fly fishing here but i am not :) . I assure you that there are no more than a couple hundreds of people who have ever seen a fly rod in real life :) .

We got some rivers too but very few of them are suitable for fly fishing. Most of them don't have good fish populations and are badly corrupted.

I know i complain so much but that doesn't mean i am not gonna try. Even catching coarse fishes is a great fun for me. So i won't care so much that other people killing pikes, carps, trouts or other precious species because i will go after worthless coarse fishes. They taste bad and they are worthless in terms of gamefishing and thus not often hunted by people but they are absolutely fun to catch :) .

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
I hope you don't think I was trying to doubt the conditions of your waters. I could also get that there are no regulations to protect fish from being exploited as there are where I live.

I could imagine as well that fly fishing is unheard of.

Much respect to your pursuit

querorz

Reaction score
Thank you buddhist_palm. I know how respectful you are :) . No need to say that. Thank you :)

What do you think about my Caddis Larvae guys?

I used rubber for the body.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
No fly fishing here either. I bet there aren't half dozen fly rods in the county, besides mine.

In my lifetime I've seen a couple guys with fly rods floating worms and such down to trout,,and that's IT.

What I have learned,,I've scratched and looked and experimented best I could by myself. Youtube is great for a tier without any mentor. I'm not 'real good' but mine catch trout and I'm getting better.

Mike

learning2fly

Reaction score
Hey your flies are getting better! Its great to see people having fun tying flies. I am an intermediate tyer with maybe 250 flies worth of experience. Try using a floatant like a strike indicator to keep your flies from sinking? I would guess for the carp if you tied a bread pattern you would want it in the dry fly variant. Post some photos of the fish you catch if you would. I love to see what your after. Click the link in my signature for info and tips on fly tying/fly fishing. Good luck out there!