Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Step-By-Step Articulated Sculpin

Default Step-By-Step Articulated Sculpin

I have overwhelming requests to post a sbs for this pattern. It is not very hard and these are fairly new products ( the heads and shanks).
    I did not have a crazy amount of time today to spend on it but I hope what I did helps and if anyone has questions feel free to post or pm me.

I used 2 body colors for the step by step so it is easier to coordinate what I am doing through pictures for the viewers.

-Materials

-I ran out of the stinger hooks I normally use so I used the next best hook I had for the job. Use whatever you like.

-

-Choose a nice piece of rabbit, I prefer crosscut

-Cut the tip of the rabbit to a point so it does not leave a big bulge after tying in

-Start wrapping the material forward, pull the hair back after every wrap so it does not become trapped leaving bald spots on the fly. I also overlap each wrap to build a nice full body.
    -NOTE: After you tie a few I suggest using superglue on the shank of the hook before wrapping the rabbit forward. It secures the body and makes the fly more durable.

-Tie the material off and head cement/glue the head

-Attach the second shank

-Tie in the second piece of rabbit (Like I said, I am only using 2 colors for step by step purposes but 2 color combos can make some great flys with this pattern)

-Wrap it forward and tie it off

-I like tying in some red cheeks, looks good and the fish dont complain whatsoever lol. I use rabbit for this as well

-Trim the red rabbit and tie it down, then tie in a few strands of crystal flash/rainbow flash/any kind of flash that you feel suites the pattern.

-Make sure everything is tied down, whip finish and glue the head
    NOTE: I recommend super glue

-Push the Sculpin Head on, Remember, I use superglue before sliding the head on as it helps secure the head and they are to expensive to lose.
    -Then in front of the Sculpin head build a little bit of thread off so if the head were to come loose it would not fall off.

-Once the sculpin head is on I add the eyes then coat the whole head in my "Rock Hard" varnish as it secures the eyes and gives the head a nice slick look.

Hope this is enough to help everyone out.

Default Re: Step-By-Step Articulated Sculpin

great job

3. Likes fishtooth liked this post

Nice job.

I've seen it both ways, just thought I'd throw it out there for whoever ties this, but tying it hook up helps avoid hang ups since sculpins are down on the bottom.
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
    Nice job.

I've seen it both ways, just thought I'd throw it out there for whoever ties this, but tying it hook up helps avoid hang ups since sculpins are down on the bottom.
    In creeks and rivers I tie it hook up....In the lakes I use this pattern in, are all marl bottom so it doesn't really matter up or down.

Blog Entries

Fishtooth: Thanks for sharing the SBS, nice job indeed!

Larry
    Larry

7. Likes fishtooth liked this post

Thanks for posting, I'll put this one on my to do list for sure. What's the total length on your fly?

9. Likes fishtooth liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    Thanks for posting, I'll put this one on my to do list for sure. What's the total length on your fly?
    This pattern is 4" in length. Some I have longer, some shorter

Good job...Thank you for sharing.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

12. Likes fishtooth liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fishtooth View Post
    This pattern is 4" in length. Some I have longer, some shorter
    Thanks, new at this and when I buy the bodies it isn't obvious what I will end up with. 4" is about perfect for my needs.

14. Likes fishtooth liked this post
    Blog Entries

Excellent SBS.Thanks for sharing

16. Likes fishtooth liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast