Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Czech style nymph

I bought some tungsten thread to try out this past fall,here is a fly I've tried it on. You can really whack on the weight in a small area with this stuff. Great for those of you who want a lot of weight without a bead.

Hook: Daiichi 1120 #6
    Body: Sybai flash nymph dubbing rusty orange
    Thorax: Slf spikey squirrel dubbing dark brown
    Rib: Ultra wire brown
    Back: Siman magic shrimp foil
    Weight: Tungsten thread that weighs between a 1/8-5/32 tungsten bead ( closer to 5/32

Here is what that amount of weight looks like on the bare hook

I put it on a bobbin to wrap it on. I used the "fine" size on this size hook, the other is x fine and it's the size of a hair actually much smaller which would make it ideal for much smaller hooks. One thing I found like thread it builds twist as you wind, so about every two dozen or so wraps I'd let it hang and unwind. I like this a lot and I'm going to incorporate this into a lot of nymphs.

This nymph worked so well through the fall/winter that I got some other colors and tied them. What I've found is as the season progresses different colors become effective when they were not earlier. The smaller one in the box are size 12 and are weighted to a 7/64 tungsten bead.

These patterns will get you to the bottom and keep you in the zone. If you've been looking for an alternative way to get weight in your patterns ( patterns you don't like the looks of a bead on )I think the tungsten thread could work well for you, it absolutely has for me.
    There is a need to fish, to be in the water. It soothes the soul.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Czech style nymph

Nice work on the Czech nymphs and thanks for the tip on the tungsten thread, I didn't even realize it existed. I might give that a try.

Larry
    Larry

That is one neat fly box ....your flies look like an Honor Guard on march they are so consistent. And , even IF I could tie that good, with my big dumb fingers I'd never get them all lined up so neat in a box. This might not be impressive to some but it impresses the h8ll right out of me !
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

4. Likes mcnerney, lv2nymph liked this post
    Blog Entries

Jack,

Those are GREAT looking flies you've whipped up, fish catchers for sure. I bought some of the same wire and have been meaning to incorporate it into some of my patterns. My intent for it was those slim bodied, weighted flies with a more natural profile--just as you've demonstrated here.

Good stuff, thanks for the reminder. By the time I sit down and start tying again, I'll probably forget about it again.

Thanks for sharing.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

6. Likes mcnerney, lv2nymph liked this post

Nice neat looking flies. I really like the fact you kept all the **** out of the hook eye.

Show us more of your ties !

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Tungsten thread. Sounds expensive. How much?

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Fly_guy I skip a spot when I load them for ease of putting them in and getting them out.
    It's $4.95 for a spool of 25 yds. I usually fish three nymphs at once, heavy, med & light depending on conditions the rig can change to accommodate the water at hand. Regardless of the fact it's more expensive than lead, I'm getting the flies where I need them more often than not now without the use of split shot which is where I'm looking to go nowadays.
    There is a need to fish, to be in the water. It soothes the soul.

11. Likes mcnerney, jaybo41 liked this post

I also had no idea this existed!
    Hmmmmm . . . opens up a whole bunch of ideas for other applications. Lots of weight in a very thin profile. Gotta think about this.
    Thanks!
    Jim

Nice flies. Great material for Czeck nymphs. I am going to give it a try.

Those are some awesome looking flies, very nice

Ryan
    Jack of all trades, Master of none.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast