Triple surgeons knot

logic_factory

Reaction score
am i the only one who thinks these types of imbalanced knots may be responsible for my line twisting?

some additional information; i fish 6-7x and 14-18' leader/tippets with a x/fast action rod. i tried using the surgeons knot tied with hemostats but found my tippet would become compromised by twists. i returned to the blood knot even though i want a stronger and easyish knot to replace it but need to make sure it does not twits my setup. any one else have similar experiences and if so what knot do you use now?

guest64

Account on hold
Reaction score
I haven't had twist issues, but I never use 7X and rarely 6X. Wonder if you're just using too light of tippet for the fly size.

I have had problems with surgeon knots breaking at times. The surgeon's knot always seems to be weaker than my tippet to fly (improved clinch) knot. I've had problems with both the double and triple surgeon's knot and usually with 5X fluorocarbon.

I've started adding a tippet ring where my final tippet section starts and using improved clinch knots to attach to the tippet ring. That seems to be stronger for me.

logic_factory

Reaction score
your results are very common; often the tippet to tippet will be the weakest connection. here is a link with comprehensive amount of data on this subject.

Tippet Shootout - Yellowstone Angler

i would imagine using a tiny tippet ring may be an okay solution for maintaining as much tensile strength as possible; ability to use two terminal type knots to attach the tippets together. but i do not like the idea of using this tacky solution and i think they will pose problems when fishing the longer tippets; something to create added resistance when a fish pulls my tippet back through the guides as it was not ready to be landed yet...same reason why i dislike loop to loops.

i will just accept my 6x becomes ~ 3pound breaking strength at my blood knot until i can claim back the ~1/4-1/3 pound difference over my terminal knot.

J

james w 3 3

am i the only one who thinks these types of imbalanced knots may be responsible for my line twisting?

some additional information; i fish 6-7x and 14-18' leader/tippets with a x/fast action rod. i tried using the surgeons knot tied with hemostats but found my tippet would become compromised by twists. i returned to the blood knot even though i want a stronger and easyish knot to replace it but need to make sure it does not twits my setup. any one else have similar experiences and if so what knot do you use now?
What makes you certain it's the tippet knot and not the fly? You'd be surprised how many flies spin, whether it's a subsurface fly being pulled through the water or a dry fly being pulled through the air. The size of that knot in 6x is minuscule compared to the diameter of a fly.
Just something to consider.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I have read that twisting is caused by using too big of a fly, or your fly has too large of wings. If you tie your own flies, shorten the wings just a bit. If you buy them, go somewhere else for flies.

To get rid of the twist, let all your line out and let it drift down stream. It may take a few times, but it'll get rid of twist.