Fish Skull Articulated Body Patterns

dennyk

Reaction score
Would anyone have any of these tied up? I've seen videos of them in the water and they look real. I'm looking for pattern ideas, can anyone help out with a few pictures? Thanks!

Denny

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Denny,

I use the Sculpin Helmets for my bottom dragging patterns but probably not like what you want........

This one is tied on a slider.

The slide is a piece of waste from a Pro Tube cut off.

I have a lot of them, they are the Bomb for big trout.

dennyk

Reaction score
Ard, those look great, love the fins you put on them, I also got some of the helmets, they just looked fishy. I found a couple videos that I got some ideas from. Got plenty of rabbit & maribou, perhaps I'll need to add some polar chennille. These are primarily going to be for fishing the Lake Michigan surf near river mouths.

Thanks!

Denny

Bigfly

Reaction score
I tie one just like the last one Ard posted....(Great minds)....
I have even used two extensions and a 3-4x long shank hook.
Taking it out to 6-7", for a hungry fish.....
Once you catch a 24" fish, with the tail of a 16" fish sticking out of it's mouth.....
You start thinking BIG.....
I also like the weightless plastic heads too, fished on a sinking leader or tip.

Jim

jgentile

Reaction score
My Sculpin slider with one 10mm shank, two hooks, a mash up of a Blane Chocklett Feather Game Changer and a finished with a slider head as tied by the boys at Fly Fish Food.

[/URL][/IMG]

My take on a Blane Chocklett FGC meets the mini Drunk & Disorderly. One 10 mm shank followed by One 15 mm shank then two hooks

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ard, what are you using for material just behind the head?

Thanks!

Denny
I do a lot of different ties on Sculpins, some of them have Sculpin Wool dubbed then spun into a loop wound in right before the head is slid on. Others I use deer body hair just faired as you would do tying a Muddler. Honestly I don't have many specific patterns that I follow the flies are made for different streams or rivers. Some waters have a lot of tannin in them from wetlands drainage and those Sculpin are different in color than those from glacial fed rivers. I do have better results with dark brown than I do olive. I carry some olive and gray but they only seem to produce in one creek.

My best advice would be to walk your shoreline and look for the real thing, maybe even a few dead ones washed up by the surf and copy them as closely in size and color as possible ;)

pnc

Reaction score
I've done articulated flies before & with product mentioned. Packed.hair for top water and EP brushes palmered & trimed for sub surface.
Intresting looking flies pictured.

....... pc

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I may not have mentioned is that once you venture into 4" or longer flies tied with multiple heavy materials and then topped off with a Sculpin Helmet is that they are heavy.

I can cast them on single hand rods as light as my 7'9" Far & Fine 5 weight but woulld call this an acquired talent at the least. A seven or eight weight may be easier for most folks but do be careful when first starting.

On 2 handed rods the easiest weights I have use an 875 grain line with a 65 foot head. This weight of line when you have about 50 foot or so out the tip top when you are setting up the cast will carry the big flies out to 90 or 100 feet when you hit the cast just right. I can fish them all the way down to a 475 grain with 37' of belly length pretty well also and all the rods between the two.

When you use these you need not worry about a sink tip, just tie a mono leader for them. This may sound extreme but I make my sculpin leaders beginning with a 40 or 50 pound butt depending on what weight line I'll be casting them with. Then the leader tapers down in symmetrical lengths from the 40 - 30 - 25 - 20 - 15 with 15 being the tippet section. Remember these are not used to target small trout in calm waters, more like big fish in heavy water conditions. The leader section lengths are deided in accordance with the length of rod being used. If I use a nine foot rod I make a 9' leader and etc. right up to a 15' rod.

Hope that bit of user experience might be helpful to some :)