Seldom Seen.......

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
And possibly used even less is the Western Doctor, I was inspired to post this little known pattern by Eunan's thread featuring the Silver Doctor from Bergman's collection. This pattern and recipe can be found along with the history of the fly in 2 different books by Joseph Bates; Streamer Fly Tying & Fishing and Streamers & Bucktails. That's where I spotted it, if you're looking to expand your tying skills as well as learning about a bunch of historic patterns seldom encountered in this century those are good resources.

That ones a dark wing variety.

Hook: Your choice although shown on an A.J. Steelhead Iron #4
Thread: All but the head are secured with white
Tail: Yelloow calf Tail
Butt: Red natural wool
Body: An even bed of white thread over which silver tinsel foil and ribbed with fine oval silver.
Throat: Blue hackle barbs, could be a bit more sparse than shown
Winging: Under wing of brown buck tail with dyed mallard as the roof
Head: Change to red silk and build a neat head then apply lacquer cement to get the translucence if you're into that look.

With a few tweaks you produce the same thing in a slightly lighter version.

Tying instructions are to be found in either of those books, if you get bored with Buggers and Nymphs here's your out :)

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are what I guess I could call stock pictures because I don't take a photo of every fly I make but............... If you have wild rainbows they will hit these (Western Doctor's). I wouldn't consider them for browns wild or not. Maybe browns in a small creek that do not see a bunch of pressure.

Something on the fancy side that I caught lots of wild brown trout with in Pennsylvania and many other places is this.

That's my Jazzed up version of the old Nine Three pattern. The original is a bit plainer.

I would call either of those fishy when they are in use. I used to post classic streamers all the time and encouraged their use with members. The thinking on my end is that this sport doesn't have to be about how many caught but sometimes how caught. I have a truck, and a boat, I have a lot of rods and reels. Lines, flies, jackets and waders galore. When I fish with someone who has paid to travel here and then hires me to be the guide, it is about catching fish. That part has been a big adjustment for me, not that I don't try to catch fish, more like I just tie on what ever strikes my fancy and fish until I get one with it. You can't do that to someone else, you gotta go with what the best bet is.

Honestly though, in many creeks and some rivers flies like these have as good a chance as anything unless people have went to the beads and floats. I don't do that and I don't make bets on who will catch the most, I do however have my days when things are pretty darn good regardless of the pattern. I'm gonna take another run out the rivers tomorrow looking for salmon. I've been out twice so far and haven't seen a trace of them but they are somewhere on their way. For them I'll use some fairly large tubes tied in the AK. Assassin style.

These classics are just fun to use, sometimes they catch and sometimes they don't. When it's a 'don't' day I figure the fish just didn't bite :) basically I'm just trying to keep such patterns in the public eye pretty much like Eunan does with his classics.

Ard

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I do really well with classic streamer patterns swinging for trout, they are a joy to cast and fish and really produce savage takes and larger than average fish.

Classic patterns for steelhead or salmon in my area not very much success.

Larger tube flies, temple dog or sculpin or intruder style seem to be the best bet.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Classic patterns for steelhead or salmon in my area not very much success.

Larger tube flies, temple dog or sculpin or intruder style seem to be the best bet.
You know Steve, that's where I went too but years ago I was catching them on little black comets and flies like the Canadian Killer. The Skykomish Sunrise was another that I turned to as a regular too. Then came the Tube and Shank thing, hey, everybody's doing it right so I have to or I'll be a relic................... So I began using great big flies and..... you guessed it, I caught some fish. We all know that once you catch a steelhead or salmon on some fly pattern that 'It' becomes 'The Pattern' and no one, I mean no one is gonna tell me it doesn't work!

The largest steelhead I ever hooked and subsequently failed to land took a Jock O' Dee tied on a size 4 Bartleet hook. That happened in a river with llots of water and not in some dinky little creek. Somehow, if you get it in the right slot they see them. I do believe that I've lost fewer fish using the short shank Owner hooks attached to tubes using a jamb knot than I used to have come undone with longer shank hooks. Of course that may be all imagination too ;)

Just because I can, here's a Jock O' Dee.

:D

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Good looking fly Ard, I still tie them and try hopefully at some point I'm going to find the best river section and time of year to have a great day fishing them.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
'Back in the day,' when my hands when steady enough to tie flys, (Dear God I still have crates full of fly fluff!) I found the use of a very light wire hook to be 'the key' to takes and hook ups. Don't be fooled by the light wire, these things are a lot stronger than they look.

The thin wire hook will set itself most of the time. :wavetowel

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Upon your recommendation Fred I did purchase and tie some thin wire streamer hooks, they do work well, I hooked a large brown trout in the beak on the swing and I was amazed at the penatration but I forgot to pinch down the barb, removing the hook was a job but fish released strong and healthy.

I pinch every thin wire hook barb at the vice after that experience.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Denny but the 2 Western Doctors are in used condition now, the Nine Three is stuck in a piece of driftwood atop my tying bench so I did save one. The Doc's caught some trout and the next time one catches I'll get a picture and try to remember this thread........

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Upon your recommendation Fred I did purchase and tie some thin wire streamer hooks, they do work well, I hooked a large brown trout in the beak on the swing and I was amazed at the penatration but I forgot to pinch down the barb, removing the hook was a job but fish released strong and healthy.

I pinch every thin wire hook barb at the vice after that experience.
Good On You ... "Welcome to the Dark Side Young Luke Skywalker"

Roger on the pinch down at the bench, pain to do it at river side. :icon_roll The penitration of even a hook as small as a 10 is excellent; the 'largest' would be a 6 depending upon what's running (time of the year thing:fishing:). Smaller than a 10 there just isn't enough 'gap' to get a good grab. Over a 6 I've never (well a couple of time) seen the need.
fae