Crawdad

mklazer20

Reaction score
Up drinking tying, just got lots of rain tied some crawdads going to fish some riff rap for channel cats Tuesday with father in law. Love to see some from u guys if u got them. I used pheasant for front brown caddies dubbing goose for shell and copper wire and exo flex on partridge pinchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennyk

Reaction score
Nice looking crayfish, good luck with the catfish today. Let us know how you did!

I'm going to have to add catfish to my gotta catch list. Have not taken one with my fly rod.

Denny

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Nice pattern. I caught my first cat on the fly a few days ago. A four pound channel near brush was about all I needed on a 5 WT. I'll be targeting them more often for sure. It's about the largest species I can reasonable expect to catch on the fly around here.

karstopo

Reaction score
This is not my tie or pattern, but one my daughter picked up at BPS. It's a little chewed up because it has been pretty effective on catfish and LMB in the Lake behind my house. My 5/6 CGR casts it okay, but it's not great if there's a lot of extra wind.

It sinks pretty fast. I'm not sure what's all in there. Slow crawling it and little bounces off the bottom in 2-6 feet seems to be what they want.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Size 10 2xl hook. Real simple, just some rusty brown dubbing, mono eyes and thin skin over lots of .25 lead wire. I've used all sorts of materials for the claws, doesn't seem to make a difference, used marabou this round. Tied jig style with hook point up so they don't hang up as much. Trout go nuts for them during the molt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
I tied up one just now from some old coachman Brown Hackle ( from my Orvis kit made in the 1970's) and from some wild turkey marabou and made a few casts. It's rough and not pretty, but it swam nicely. May have try it in earnest off the dock in the a.m.

The BPS crawfish on the left. I used glass beads for the eyes.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

S

smcnearn

The Geezus Lizard. I love this fly. I have Browns come up on the Colorado hitting it 2-3 times, tasting hook each time, pretty sure they think they're battling the rivers toughest crawfish.

mklazer20

Reaction score
River so muddy and current so strong didn't even bother with it

JoJer

Reaction score
Fish actually prefer crawfish with tiny pinchers
They don't bite back ;)
I've seen video of LMB picking crawdads off the bottom, tossing then with a head shake so they could eat them tail first.
It would be hard to figure out when to strike with that much going on at the end of your line.

S

smcnearn

I've seen video of LMB picking crawdads off the bottom, tossing then with a head shake so they could eat them tail first.

It would be hard to figure out when to strike with that much going on at the end of your line.

Browns do this as well, and Iv seen a few large rainbows nip or body check to stun and come back around to eat it tail first or head first if they think it's a baitfish.

I think hesitating before setting the hook might be what equates to more hungry fish landed. Pretty hard to hesitate though when they explode on it.