Streamers

lancer09

Reaction score
Recently I've become enamored with tying streamers, especially articulated ones, but that is for later in the post.

What are some of everyones favorite streamers and what sizes? I want to start filling a streamer box with baitfish imitatiions. I realy like matuka style patterns and need to work on some muddlers but what else is good.

I really like some of the Kelly Galloup flies are they worth a shot at tying? I think they look super productive.

I'm particularly after sculpin and darter type patterns.

Moving on, When tying a matuka should I tie in one or two hackles for the tail and back? Also, i have been stripping the barbs off of the bottom side of the stem so it lies flatter, should I continue that?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Lancer: I also like Kelly Galloup's streamers, my favorites are the Zoo Cougar, Circus Peanut, Big Gulp Sculpin and the of course the Double Bunny in sizes 4 and 6.

Larry

lancer09

Reaction score
Thanks A Lot! I'll look into starting to accumulate some stuff for his flies, problem being they look relatively tough to tie.

Sorry this should have been in the general tying section, but since it's here I dont think it would hurt anyone if they could "share" some of their patterns.

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Recently I've become enamored with tying streamers, especially articulated ones, but that is for later in the post.

What are some of everyones favorite streamers and what sizes? I want to start filling a streamer box with baitfish imitatiions. I realy like matuka style patterns and need to work on some muddlers but what else is good.

I really like some of the Kelly Galloup flies are they worth a shot at tying? I think they look super productive.

I'm particularly after sculpin and darter type patterns.

Moving on, When tying a matuka should I tie in one or two hackles for the tail and back? Also, i have been stripping the barbs off of the bottom side of the stem so it lies flatter, should I continue that?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I strip the hackle for flies that I post or any that have a slim body they look better, also you can flatten the stem at the point where you tie it in (this will some times get them to sit better)

You should use 2 feathers, some that I tie use 4+ feathers

I have a tutiral video of a parsons glory (classic NZ mutuku) but need too get another computer before I can convert it for use on the net (from AVI to FLV) I will send a pm when I get it working it may help:)

My favorite in this style are the parsons glory, the grey ghost, split partridge (this is a bit harder too tie tho), the Hearts creek, and red shadow (the patterns are in the classic thread) in sizes 4-8 are good

Some of the sculpin patterns we use are tied like the killer flies in the classic thread but with the side feathers cocked up (usualy coloured partridge) in 4-8

Chris

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks A Lot! I'll look into starting to accumulate some stuff for his flies, problem being they look relatively tough to tie.

Sorry this should have been in the general tying section, but since it's here I dont think it would hurt anyone if they could "share" some of their patterns.
Lancer: I agree, I guess that is why he commands the prices he gets for those articulated streamers. For something simplier, you might try different versions of the Wooly Bugger. It has been around a long time but still catches lots of fish. Here is another idea, these Bite Me Buggers do real well on the North Platte: Bite Me Buggers

I also like John Barr's Slump Buster: Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Here is Charlie Craven's version of the Sex Dungeon: Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

You might also take at look at some of the great looking patterns in last years streamer swap: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/11261-trout-streamer-swap-fall-2009-a.html

You might find something of interest in last years Wooly Bugger swap: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/9924-wooly-bugger-swap.html

You might also want to look over the great streamer patterns that Chris has posted in this thread: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/13238-classic-new-zealand-streamers.html

Larry

Last edited:

Jimmie

Reaction score
This summer I was in a fly shop looking for chennile when the owner said take a look at my dubbed Buggers. Haven't looked back since. Here's the concept. Mix Ice/Brite/Sparkle dubbing in a couple of different colors of spikey dubbing. Dub a multi color tapered body. When you pick out the dubbing you are picking out the same color sparkle all along the body. I'm having a ball with the different combos.

mojo

Reaction score
I love Kelly's flies. The Sex Dungeon, Zoo Cougar for predatory fish like browns are killer at this time. He knows his streamers.

lancer09

Reaction score
In my searching for patterns I found a great site that is actually located out of from very close to where I'm at. There are a lot of kelly galloup flies as well as some local ones. I hope everyone can, at somepoint find it useful.

www.taneycomotrout.com