Wingless Wonder / Inspired by the Spider Flies;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been seeing flies for trout, salmon and steelhead called the Spider for quite a while now and have never ventured into tying or fishing them. This is as close as I have came and will make up a few in different colors and see what they do. The Spider style is now popular with fish and fishermen from coast to coast.

Wingless Wonder in Purple;

I stuck the second picture here to demonstrate the gob of dubbing behind the hackles and collar. The idea is for the wide thorax to hold the feathers out a bit while the fly is traveling through the water. This is not a pattern I will fish in really swift currents. It will be a fly for long slow moving pools and runs.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Tying:

This one is tied to a Partridge size 4 hook. How you make one is really a matter of choice and is dependent on what materials you have on hand to create a fly with long flowing hackles. If you choose marabou try to keep it sparse.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Wingless Wonder / Inspired by the Intruder Flies;

Maybe it was inspired by spiders? Yeah, that's the ticket, Spiders, I went back and corrected that. I have never seen an Intruder fly in person and should think before I speak :eek:

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Beautiful Ard--

There's something about that fly--- all i can think to say is .......
--- everything that doesn't belong isn't there.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Maybe it was inspired by spiders? Yeah, that's the ticket, Spiders, I went back and corrected that. I have never seen an Intruder fly in person and should think before I speak :eek:
:thmbup:

Not to worry, Spiders it is. If/when you see an Intruder you'll know it. Most are huge in size and have the the largest lead 'dumbell eyes' you can buy strapped on. Not sure if it was a "Chicken and Egg" sort of thing, but the same folks developed these as the Skagit lines. Takes a lot of 'grain mass' to chuck one of these buggers.

fae

wt bash

Reaction score

I don't know Fred it looks like a spider and an intruder mingled in the Wheatly and spawned this fella. Its has the profile attributes of the intruder to an extent like an intruder on a diet. Any way you want to slice it, its fishy!!! I'de give it a swing in a nice slow dam pool after the rain and flow settled or swim it though a boulder garden.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Indeed WB, indeed. I can see that fly, summer or winter, working off the end of a full sunk spey line to get her deep, down and dirty. Flat to the current that Puppy would have a heck of a profile and be darned easier to cast than a full on heavily weighted Intruder done on a 45-55 mm Waddington Shank.

fae

wt bash

Reaction score
Yeah I'm with you on the "not my style of fly" I don't like fishing intruders or casting them!! But Ard's beauty here will work for me on the GL's. I might add some shlappen body hackle to give it a more bushy apperance for the off colored days.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
WT,

I know what you mean about making them fuller. I made 4 of these and purposely kept them as sparse as I could manage. I always end up with enough stuff on a hook to make two flies so I was trying to make something for semi still water conditions that might kinda pulse and move in response to what I do with the rod tip. They do look like they could use a good meal don't they.............

wt bash

Reaction score
I actually tied a bunch just like it with varring colors, some bushy some nearly exactly like yours (well ok not exactly I can't make them look as pretty). I'll run the bushier through the faster spots and the sparse I have in mind for a few sections of water that scream this fly. I really like the idea of having a big profile with as little material as possible.