Fly from trash materials

MrEsox

Reaction score
Very nice looking fly actually. Looks like it could shine a bit and that would attract a few preditor fish. I myself have looked for "other" things I could use on flies. Mostly stuffs that are found in craft stores and not really found in a fly shop. Fibers from old torn rags, colored wing feathers, and a few beads for eyes. I know I've looked at things and have asked can it be used. Mostly though I end up using the unused stuffs from other flies. Some look like garble and would prob not work too well for trout but hey some fish out there would hit it. I'll have to look into the disk idea since I've been looking for somthing that has a lot of shine, almost mirror like, but would hold up when tied. Good idea. :thumbsup::clap:

jcl

Reaction score
I don't have any pictures, but I've used the "grass" that fills up Easter baskets to make flashback nymphs (looks best on pheasant tails, I think).

jclampwork88

Reaction score
My wife hates it when I start looking around for trash to tie with. I have a pretty good collection of materials that i have found at the thift store (antron from old lamps, etc.) I collect the hair from the dog brush. We have a grey mini schuezer(spelling?) and a tan pug. The pug hair works great for elk hair caddis. I've saved ear plugs from the shop floor where I work. I've cut the clear plastic bags that material comes in for back flash for scuds. I've found that you can use almost anything.

John

tob1

Reaction score
One more fly with wings from the packaging ribbon,
Housefly

Body - sparkle yarn twisted with peacock herl.
Trygve:wink:

BlueBird

Reaction score
I collect feathers from my pet Lovebirds; yellow foam trays used fresh meats from supermarkets (there are high bouyancy); chain links from old lamps; Crosstitch yarns threads; down feathers that slipping out from winter jackets.. lol; caulk backing foam strip;

:wink: