Shiner patterns...

Snaggy

Reaction score
So far no luck catching anything with these baitfish imitations. They swim and look tasty in the water but I'm doing something wrong trying to swing them through the current. I'll throw em' out there again someday...Help me McFly, help me...

Attachments

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Snaggy,

I think you have a couple of problems. You need a fuller body and you need some flash. Not a lot of flash but some along the center line. Look at the Clouser pictured below. This is an original from Bob Clouser.

Frank

Snaggy

Reaction score
Thanks Frank. Next time I tie some up I'll add more flash and lengthen them out. The clouser has a bunch of white flash on the bottom but it didn't photograph well. Thanks again for the tip!

Snaggy
<°((((~{

axle27

Reaction score
I was reading an article last week in FlyFusion magazine about how some people tie an extra hitch over the head of their flies to get them to be about 90 degrees from the line. This creates a "v" wake when retrieved down and across.

Might try that.

Found it online. It's called a Riffling Hitch.

CLick here

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
how you casting those patterns snaggy? do they need weight to get it down some. if I see a steelie I will get upstream from them cast across the river and let then swing it front of there face while giving small twitches. if not visible i cast to spots where I think they hold. if theres no current I cast across but a lil upstream some and let sink a few seconds and give small 6 inch or so strips of line while jerking the tip of the rod at the same time and repeat. count how many seconds you let it sink so you get a idea of how deep they are. I get most of my bass that way because the vermilion has lil flow in the summer. heres my shiner pattern. its a bead chain eye olive/white bucktail clouser with flash wrapped up the shank and some also off the tail as lateral line flash. this pattern is made to ride hook point up. I have heard to try some black buggers also and small stoneflies in the great lakes tribs. also some white buggers, now is the time the fresh steel will chase shiner patterns so be ready for them. the steelie I seen was holding in deep rocky areas where the bass usually hang out.. I make clousers in alot of colors. heres some colors I use. don't be afraid to switch up the color if they aren't interested.

Attachments

Snaggy

Reaction score
Thanks McFly for the tips! You seem to be the go to guy for Steelhead clouser fishing. They are definately getting down enough with the weighed dumbell eyes (I snagged and lost a few) but I don't think I'm twitching or jerking them enough. I'll try that this weekend. I tied some longer clousers with more flash as Frank instructed. I'm itching like mad to get back in the river but I've had no time. Hopefully this weekend I can get away for a bit. My fishing buddy (My Mom's husband, Jon) was down there yesterday and the last cold spell and rain brought a lot of chrome in. A lot of em' are being hooked now. Oh, and nice clouser assortment.

Snaggy
<°((((~{

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I am no pro I will tell you that much. only been fishing a year for the steel on a fly and thats what I got my 1st and every other on since after that day. try white wooley buggers too heard thats working also. anything that resembles a baitfish or shiner should get a hit hopefully.. I make my clousers about 2 inches long and in many colors. I need to make more because I gave some away to my cousins. have at least 3 or 4 of the same color if possible. also if you get a snag don't tug too hard on it. get some slack in the line and give it a roll cast or 2 or 3. . sometimes its just a rock and it unsnags it very easy. I haven't lost a fly all summer. if that doesn't work its so shallow here I will just walk out and get it unsnagged if possible.if you make it to ride hook point up they hardly ever snag. good luck. most of my luck was in the spring. I never caught a fall one yet but am gonna try monday at the v. keep ya posted!