Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Low water ties

Default Low water ties

It what brought up on another forum about the difference between a low water tie and a low water fly. I took it a step furthor just for fun. These are tied on #10's.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Blog Entries

Default Re: Low water ties

wt bash: Those flies are gorgeous, congrats on tying some great looking flies!
    Thanks for sharing! You might provide a materials list so Mark can insert it into the fly pattern directory.

Larry

From explanations in that thread I understand the difference now and the reasoning for smaller flies in low/slow water, but why smaller ties on big hooks?

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    From explanations in that thread I understand the difference now and the reasoning for smaller flies in low/slow water, but why smaller ties on big hooks?
    Not to sound silly, but more 'steel' can add a lot to the hooking ability of the fly. Or in this case (being the tie was on a number 10 hook) not fill the gap between the shank and hook point. Wider the gap, the higher the probability of penetration ... even if it's only in the lip flesh.

Just my personal observation(s).
    fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Fred hit the nail on the head, I've also read that with more steel exsposed it acts as a keel to keep the fly swimming. Plus steelhead and trout alike are tail nippers, by keeping all the materials in front of the hook point the fish nips at the "tail" and finds my hook point. The materials are literally all the stuff that ends up on the floor. Opal tinsel tag, G.P. crest or yellow hackle tip tail, flo orange butt, silver tinsel rib, rust dubbed body, wing is olive and black barred rabbit with an olive collar.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Thanks for posting these, WT! I'll be adding several to the box this week.
    The man who busies himself proclaiming something can't be done is frequently interrupted by the man doing it.

the764