Mayflies

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
nice tie! is that cdc I see wrapped with the hackle and used as wings?? I never thought of that before.

Greenwood

Reaction score
Hi,
Interesting: So you wrap the hackle; is the CDC wrapped or is it tied to the top and split to represent the 'wings.? What if we cut a V shape into the bottom of the hackle so the CDC actually floated on the surface? ....kind of like a compardun or parachute? I don't fish a lot of dries but I see a simple, effective dry in this pattern.

jclampwork88

Reaction score
it looks like to me that the cdc is tied on top and then spit for wings. I like the idea of making in like a comparadon. it might float better. That would also look great in the adams color with the fine and dry dubbing instead of the shiny body.

John

tob1

Reaction score
Hi,
Interesting: So you wrap the hackle; is the CDC wrapped or is it tied to the top and split to represent the 'wings.? What if we cut a V shape into the bottom of the hackle so the CDC actually floated on the surface? ....kind of like a compardun or parachute? I don't fish a lot of dries but I see a simple, effective dry in this pattern.
The CDC wings are 2 small CDC feathers tied in on top at the back of hackle. The hackle in front is 2 types of hackle - 1 Silver Badger and 1 Grizzly Coachman Brown. The tail feathers are Coq de Leon (Indio Palometa). The body is grey silk yarn.
Here is a link of a step by step Fly of the month

Trygve:wink:

Greenwood

Reaction score
Thanks for the connecting site!
I noted that the original version also had a partridge hackle wrapped along with the dry fly hackle(s). In as much as the partridge wouldn't provide any flotation, I'm wondering if it provides more movement in the water surface......kind of like 'legs' moving around?! In as much as I'm a hard core soft-hackle fisherman, I like to think that's the case! Ha!

The CDC would provide more flotation IF it contacted the water. That's why I was thinking about cutting the inverted V in the bottom of the hackle much like Vince Marinaro's spring creek dries. ....otherwise the CDC would simply imitate 'wings'. Either way, I think I'll try one of these in an Adams style as noted above. You KNOW it's gotta' catch some fish! .......Thanks for the insight.

tob1

Reaction score
A small one.
Hook: Mustad 80000 size 26
Tail: 2 fibre antron
Body: Biots from Mallard
Parapost: Antron
Hackle: Whiting Brown
Thread: Petitjean

Trygve

tob1

Reaction score
One with furled body (foam,klink yarn,aero dry).
Under parachute hackle : two turns snowshoe rabbit in spliced thread.
Hook #14

Trygve:wink: