Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Polar Shrimp

Default Polar Shrimp

Tonight, a small outburst of polar shrimp tied in different sizes and styles:

They all need one more coat of SHHAN, but that can wait until morning.
    The man who busies himself proclaiming something can't be done is frequently interrupted by the man doing it.

the764

Default Re: Polar Shrimp

very nice...would you mind posting a recipe?

Blog Entries

This is one of my best producers and the fly is durable, many a salmon on this pattern.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Sure thing, brandy:

Hook: Gamakatsu (#2-8)
    Tail: Red hackle tip, barbs, or bucktail
    Body: Orange chenille or floss (two strands on this example)
    Hackle: Red saddle
    Wing: White bucktail, (kip works better on the smaller sizes, but I'm out at the moment)

Ard, would you agree with my hook sizing of #2-8? They work for me but may be outside the traditional size range for this fly.
    The man who busies himself proclaiming something can't be done is frequently interrupted by the man doing it.

the764

Blog Entries

Nice work on the Polar Shrimp! Like Ard said that pattern was one of my best producers also when I lived in Alaska.

Larry

Blog Entries

Those sizes sound right on to me, for salmon a #2 is my best producer for this type fly. The only time I go larger and longer is with those flat wing spey style streamers because I am trying to suggest a bait fish with them.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Wink Re: Polar Shrimp

Great ties; and with this type of pattern (vis a vis fishing our waters) 'Less is More.' More often than 'knot,' these are 'over kill' on material .. subtle, very very subtle is my personal recommendation.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Fred,

Do you mean subtle like my attempt at a low water version shown on the far right, or do you think all of them would benefit from a sparser tie? That's my first try in that style with the polar shrimp. Think it's worth pursuing? I'm convinced this example has far too much hair in the wing.

the764

Blog Entries

Nah, nothing makes them stand out like a nice full wing. The only bad fly I ever used came apart before I ever caught a fish.