Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A matuka

Default A matuka

Personally I'm not really a fan, but I gave it a tub test and it looks way way better wet and the more I fish it, it will start to soften up even more. Still I don't care for tying these guys but with the dyed guinea hen it just looks fishey to me.

Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Blog Entries

Default Re: A matuka

WT,

I can see that looking pretty slick wet. When you get right down to it, what a fly looks like in the vise is not necessarily what makes it work. After you have been making wet flies for awhile and fishing them you get to know how to build things that will look good wet. Over the years my flies became long on the hackle and short on the wings. The hackle gets a good fishy look when wet and does not get wound around the bend of the hook the way a long wing does. The matuka style is fishy because of that tail that undulates behind the bend of the hook. Real fishy,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I totally agree about the longer hackle, most of my flies have "too much" but I've noticed that combining a softer material with alot of hackle I can fish through the fast into the slow and back into fast again without changing flies on a run. In the fast stuff a short wing of arctic fox will point straight back, relatively motionless while the hackle fibers really do there thing. In the slower section the fox will undulate and "swim" and the heavy hackle will catch all the little currents we can't see and really give the fly life in the water. This fly however I think will be fished in mostly fast water the short tail needs alot of water pushing past to get that signature Matuka wiggle even then its very tight. With this pattern, my guess is that your just showing a little wall of color to the fish.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

4. Default Re: A matuka

Nice tie .
    I to like the way matuka's swim , have caught a lot of smallies on a olive one
    not much different then yours

wet

Good looking Tie
    I read the other day that a maturate with Guinea is supposed to work good for steelhead.