Coffee Bean Beetle

jclampwork88

Reaction score
Has anyone used a food product for a fly? I thought I would share a pattern that I am tying currently for a swap. It is call the Coffee Bean Beetle. It has been around for a while as a joke, but it really works for Bluegill and other still waters. I heard of it from Anthony Spezio in one of his DVDs that he has for sale. I have come to know him from another forum and he is a great person and tyer.
So the question is what food products have you used on a fly?

John

Attachments

tgoodwater2002

Reaction score
I know a guy that used a pumpkin seed this last october to make a crab pattern. It was really cool. I wish I had a pic for you.

tgoodwater2002

Reaction score
I don't know if he ever tried to fish it. It looked like a top water fly to me. I am sure it would have caught some bluegill and a few bass.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice!

It would definitely work in the east where the Japanese Beetle is prolific, that is if the fish have found the beatles tasty. We had a lot of Gypsy Moth Larva but I seldom saw fish taking them more than once. They must not taste good. No joke, some bugs just don't taste good as prey forms, take for instance the Monarch Butterfly. The Viceroy Butterfly is believed to have evolved to mimic the Monarch due to its unpalatability as prey.

If I were still living in the North East I would be trying one when the Japanese Beatles are present.

Great fly Dude.

tuholer

Reaction score
The Coffee Bean Beetle Was an idea by Charlie Fox and Vince Marinaro from PA. It was first used in the 1930's I believe on the Yellow Britches Creek.
The full story on this can be found in the book "Ring Of The Rise" by Vince Marinaro.
I have tied them for a number of years and used them for warm water species.
The Gills love them especially when the Spring Peepers are hatching out.

L

Liphookedau

Apparently lots of people still make Bean Beetles One of The Guys on The Forum Made Them for a Swap in 2012.
Brian.

theboz

Reaction score
Tryed rice to imitate a maggot. Marked the tip with a black marker and covered it with Sally Hansen. Looked kinda cool until I fished it ! Somehow water got through the lacquer and swelled the rice up until it exploded through the layer of Sally Hansen! Looked like a pimple ready to explode!
Coffee Bean looks cool I'll bet it kills as a terrestrial!

silver creek

Reaction score
I consider a coffee bean fly a true fly but technically, the coffee bean fly would not meet the definition of a artificial lure or fly in a lot of states. Most state regulations are very specific on what "natural" materials can be used and any organic material that can be used a food is illegal.

I doubt a game warden would give you a citation.

Artificial Lures:

Some regulations restrict anglers to the use of only artificial lures. Artificial lure means a spoon, spinner, plug, or other fish bait made of hair, feathers, cork, wood, rubber, metal, plastic, or other synthetic materials, or combinations of these materials. An artificial lure may not include natural or organic food stuffs like corn, marshmallows, dough, cheese, meat, living or dead organisms or parts thereof, except hair, feathers, cork, wood, and rubber.

http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/FH/FH0301.pdf

vana2

Reaction score
I use half a black sun flower seed shell for the back of a water boatman fly.

vana2