"The Answer" if you like to catch trout

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This one isn't in your book. You wont find it in your buddies fly wallet either. This style of tie and the materials were the culmination of many years of experimentation with the wild brown trout of Central Pennsylvania's spring creeks.

By using actual brown trout fry and parr stage fish that I captured on a local stream and my pattern that I was developing I was able to develop a fly that out fished any other I have ever used.

I placed the young trout in a clear mason jar and with my fly on a leader and swimmers goggles on, I submerged us all. By doing so many times with many fly patterns I was able once and for all to determine what materials would most look like a baby brown trout.

This was not done without Taking into consideration that fish perceive reflected light and colors differently than humans. I did however deduce that if the streamer fly seemed to resemble the developing trout parr to my eyes, then the same phenomenon may be true for the trout also regardless of the difference in color perception.

Without further ado Here is the rather unconventional result; click thumbs to enlarge.

This tie is meant not only to provide the visual stimuli to the adult brown trout but is meant to swim like a fish hence the extended tail.

Generally the wing is tied only as long as the body. This is done to allow the dual triangular tail feathers freedom to undulate (swim) at the rear of the fly. This style of tie also solves the problem of the elongated wing of streamers getting wrapped inside the hook bend and causing the "Cork Screwing" effect we are all familiar with.

Last edited:

axle27

Reaction score
Awesome!!!!!

Now, the only thing I can't figure out is this: I don't see the swimming goggles on the fly...what material did you use?:D

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
That is one of the BEST streamers I have EVER seen!!!!!! That is one of the coolest flies flies I've seen in a long time:clap: Mind sharin' the pattern or is tha your secret....:icon_roll

Arkie24

Reaction score
Amazing fly Ard. The fly has character and I would love to see that fly in my box.

GREAT JOB! :bowdown:

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice fly Ard,what humans think about it doesn't matter much...but the most important thing is that trout like it;)and you know as well as I do that trout or other fish sometimes like flies which look ugly in our eyes...:icon_smil

fshng2

Reaction score
This one isn't in your book. You wont find it in your buddies fly wallet either. This style of tie and the materials were the culmination of many years of experimentation with the wild brown trout of Central Pennsylvania's spring creeks.

By using actual brown trout fry and parr stage fish that I captured on a local stream and my pattern that I was developing I was able to develop a fly that out fished any other I have ever used.

I placed the young trout in a clear mason jar and with my fly on a leader and swimmers goggles on, I submerged us all. By doing so many times with many fly patterns I was able once and for all to determine what materials would most look like a baby brown trout.

This was not done without Taking into consideration that fish perceive reflected light and colors differently than humans. I did however deduce that if the streamer fly seemed to resemble the developing trout parr to my eyes, then the same phenomenon may be true for the trout also regardless of the difference in color perception.

Without further ado Here is the rather unconventional result; click thumbs to enlarge.
Attachment 1635 I named the pattern "The Answer" based on its effectiveness!

Attachment 1636 From the front and side;

Attachment 1637 From the rear and side;

Attachment 1638 A used fly when wet;

This tie is meant not only to provide the visual stimuli to the adult brown trout but is meant to swim like a fish hence the extended tail.

Generally the wing is tied only as long as the body. This is done to allow the dual triangular tail feathers freedom to undulate (swim) at the rear of the fly. This style of tie also solves the problem of the elongated wing of streamers getting wrapped inside the hook bend and causing the "Cork Screwing" effect we are all familiar with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broadside Rt.0001.jpg (63.4 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg From Front up0001.JPG (91.6 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg Rear up0001.jpg (69.1 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg Wet0001.JPG (63.9 KB, 256 views)

Ard thanks for posting.
This is one I will attempt to tie and if successful will definitely try fishing.
I will fish it on the local white clay creek and also on the upper Delaware river.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a very old thread and I just took a look at the image attachments, they are not correct. We have switched software since this was originally posted and obviously this set of images didn't make the move very well. I will hunt them up and replace them or will tie a fresh fly and re-photograph it.

The fly was a bit of whimsy combined with a dash of logic, the result was a featherwing that consistently caught trout. Granted this can and has been done with a thousand streamer patterns and most not so difficult to produce. I've often wondered whether it was actually the fly or the way and the place in which I used it. Regardless of reasons behind the success it became the only thing I needed to catch brown trout in Pennsylvania's Heritage Trout Waters and Spring Creeks.

Would I take the same path today or would I use something much more simple? That would rely on results fly vs. fly.

fshng2

Reaction score
Ard the pictures are not lost.
the jpgs are at the very end of your original post.
It seems they didn't transfer in the main body of your post.
What is the length that you usually tie these?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I replaced them just now........

I tied those on 2X long shank hooks size 2 - 4 - 6 and a finished fly would range 1 1/2 to almost 3 inches depending on the hook size and shank.

I used to fish in spring creeks back east where there were a lot of trout in the 16 - 24 inch size and was always trying to find something that no one else was showing the fish. Between the look, the action, and the fact they had never seen something like that it was a very good fly. Maybe it was technique, approach, presentation or maybe it was the fly :)

This is a longer version of the story; The Evolution of The Answer

I hope the pattern will do for you like it did for me.

Ard

fshng2

Reaction score
Ard thanks for the information @ Salmonfly.net
This site is new for me but I see your name along with many talented tiers there.
I will need to visit that site again.
I am sure I will have as much fun tying "The Answer" as I will fishing it.
The upper Delaware river should be a perfect place to try it.
This section has successful Brown, Rainbow, and Brook trout natives.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I should add some content to the site, I've sort of remade myself as a tier and feel the need to update. I can tie them but in the end I'm more about fishing them I guess :)

fshng2

Reaction score
Hi Ard I made an attempt at your fly design "The Answer".
Hook: #6 Mustad 33661
Painting the feathers was a little tricky, but a toothpick made it easier.
I substituted a Guinea feather for the JC as well as alot of other stuff.
Attached are a few pics along the way.

And finally a wet view

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard