Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The Western Doctor; Trout & Salmon

Blog Entries

Default The Western Doctor; Trout & Salmon

This is an adaptation of the Silver Doctor of Atlantic Salmon Fly fame.

Attachment 1729 I keep three or four in one of my boxes just for fun. They are too hard to tie so ya gotta be careful not to go snapping them off when you hook up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Western Doctor; Trout & Salmon

Ard

You are one fly tying machine! I'm a measly slough compared to what you tie. Great work!

Larry

Blog Entries

Larry,

Thank you for your kind words. I just like these pretty flies and am filling the boxes for spring. I've been stubbornly fishing the fancy stuff since the seventies and manage to get fish to take them so I keep on turning them out.

Even if I'm not knocking the spots off the fish I get a fly fishing buzz when I open a box or wallet that is filled with beautiful flies.

Ard

4. Default Re: The Western Doctor; Trout & Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    I get a fly fishing buzz when I open a box or wallet that is filled with beautiful flies. Ard
    I can understand the buzz, and there's no better reason to do what you enjoy! How about sharing that buzz with a photo of said wallet?
    For some types of fishing, my approach is more pragmatic. But for others, a certain amount of elegance seems fitting. Any tips on where I can get a nice, reasonably priced leather fly wallet?

Blog Entries

Dorsey,

I'll post some photos of both boxes and wallets soon in the share patterns thread. As for where to get a nice one..............? My favorite was given to me circa 1980 and is no doubt a vintage of about 1930 or so. The best current model of a leather wallet I've had was a Holland Sport Leather Co. product that I bought from Martin J. Keane in 2002. The Holland Sport wallet was far and away the most first class offering I have seen for a tri fold shearing lined type complete with a strap and keeper.

I made a gift of the H.S. to a fishing associate and no longer have it so no photo is forthcoming. I believe that the C.C. Filson Co. offers a streamer wallet and if memory serves me they are a very nice item so there is a second source to check.

I also use an Orvis wax cotton and leather Battenkill wallet circa 1994 - 96 for feather wing streamers but have switched to the #1661 Wheatley box having 40 #5 clips for the storage of salmon & steelhead flies.

I will try to supply photos of each of the aforementioned wallets and the boxes today or tomorrow in a new thread as time allows.

Thank you for your interest in these flies and I will do my best to supply information in any way that I can.

Ard