Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default three flies-crappie fly, salmon fly, snail

i tied this yesterday for crappie fishing. the eyes are made of glass beads (they were from my organic chemistry lab- we used them to increase surface area in column chromotagraphy, thanks chemistry ) i wrapped two of them in a sock fabric to hold them together.

the other one is my first attempt at a salmon fly

the last one is a snail imitation
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default Re: three flies-crappie fly, salmon fly, snail

Love them...Dude you are turning into one of my favorite tiers....You have imagination!
    I love that snail!!!!!

Default Re: three flies-crappie fly, salmon fly, snail

thanks joni! the snail is pretty easy to make...

first i wrapped the hook shank w/ lead wire, then i tied in some brown deer hair at the end of the hook. then i tied in 2 pieces of brown foam at the end, and peacock herl in the middle of the hook. i wrapped the peacock herl toward the bend of the hook and tied it off.

to make the shell i TIGHTLY roll the foam closest to the eye of the hook forward, then while holding the roll in place, i bring the back foam over the roll. after that i push the eye oh the hook through the back foam and bring the foam underneath the herl. the back foam holds the roll in place. then i tie it off.

it floats perfectly in the surface film of the water. the lead makes it not float too high.

Blog Entries

Moon,

The salmon fly looks great and the snail has me wondering, did you come up with that on your own because if you did you are an innovator for sure. The use of the glass eyes on number one is interesting, do they offer a greater specific gravity than zinc or the standard bead eye concept?

Keep cranking out those salmon flies, I don't know where you live but someday you'll get to use them and you'll be glad to have your original prototype.

Ard

thanks for the feedback!

About the snail, I tried making a pattern i saw in a magazine (orvis catalogue), but i had no idea what they used or how they made it! so i just sat at my desk, fooled around with some ideas, and after a couple BAD ties, i ended up with this one!

Ive only fished with the white crappie fly once. it sunk pretty slow. haha i just thought it looked pretty cool!

yeah salmon flys look so cool! i wish i could tie up some of those masterpieces! what are they suppose to imitate though? ive always wondered.

Blog Entries

rmooney,

There have been rumors that some were tied to simulate butterflies but I have yet to see a fish take one,(a butterfly) for the most part I believe most are simply the product of the originators skill & fancy at and for fly tying. That said I would conclude in my less than professional opinion that most salmon and steelhead flies are in fact attractor patterns that happen to have a long and fabled history of persistent fishermen casting them at fish until the fish takes them.

Attachment 2034Definately an attractor pattern

If you look here 'Share Patter" you'll be able to find many salmon & steelhead flies posted by myself and others that fit the description I have just given of them. I hope this gives an answer of sorts to your question.

Ard
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Default Re: three flies-crappie fly, salmon fly, snail

Hardy, I sure would like your supply of Jungle Cock!

8. Default Re: three flies-crappie fly, salmon fly, snail

Great looking flies. If you really want to get creative.. take purple beads and wrap them in a salmon sack (making row), wrap peacock herl, lots of it and bulk it up. Cut out some thicker ziplock into a heart for wings and tie the eyes in.
    lol

For your salmon fly, shorten up the beard a bit... and tie the head smaller and closer to the eye! It will jazz that fly up just right.
    Brandon Heather
    Xtremely Alberta Outdoors
    Fly Frenzy Custom Flies Pro Staff