buggy chenille bugger

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
made this brown bugger but instead made clouser style using beadchain eyes. i used brown marabou but did not add hackle. just used this buggy chenille instead. I was very successful last year on the v imitating a crayfish with a brown bugger and once I even caught so many bass with it the hackle fell off but the fish didn't mind at all and it still produced great. so instead of adding hackle on these ones I just added this "wooly bugger" chenille for just a lil buggy effect.. should work great. I also have this buggy chenille in black and olive.

Attachments

dshort

Reaction score
Nice ties George. I tie a similar fly based on a Harry Murray design. He calls it a marauder and ties it with a tail of Ostrich Herl fibers. I tie mine with Marabou and have found that it works pretty well. Instead of the buggy chenille, mine uses Estaz chenille. Here's a pic of mine in white but I tie them in black, brown and olive also.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
wow those look great! I only have orange estaz tho cause I was making some estaz eggs for steelhead. I need to get some of that pearl! I have some pearl flash chenille that gives that sparkle effect but isn't buggy at all so thanks for the tip! I see you add eyes to um. do you use any weight to get it down or just use a sinking line? I use wf line and have to always weight my flies so its either lead wrap, cone or beadhead or bead chain or dumbell eyes. I love streamer patterns. I just got some imitation ep fiber called congo hair and made some ep style minnow with it but added a conehead and it didn't really look natural like they all make um but they are using sinking line in the ocean. maybe I need to add lead underwraps to those cause i need to get down like 4 feet or so? oh well for now I been making clouser out of that material in the mean time and actually just posted a few in this same section. I do have white ostrich too! thanks for the ideas!

dshort

Reaction score
George, I tie all of my buggers, marauders, etc with lead eyes which is usually enough weight for my purposes. Sometimes I add lead wraps also.