Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: crayfish prototype

You can break lead or lead sub the same way. I am betting it is just wire, but it will add some weight. Do you use sinking lines?

2. Default Re: crayfish prototype

when I dropped it in my sink it went down pretty fast. I have never tried a sinking line ever. the river I fish is 5 feet deep at most but usually even less in the deep spots. on a clear day you can usually see bottom so I just use weight to get down. the flow of my river at this moment is 85cfs and in the summer it can get worse! I am gonna try tomorrow for some steelhead. keep ya posted! can't use crayfish for those tho.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Default Re: crayfish prototype

George,

Nice job on that. It looks like it'll get bit.

Joni-

I weight crabs and shrimpy stuff like that for SW with lead eyes tied in near the eye, so if you drop them back, they settle down to the bottom with the claws up, like the real ones do when they scoot for cover.

mark

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
    when I dropped it in my sink it went down pretty fast. I have never tried a sinking line ever. the river I fish is 5 feet deep at most but usually even less in the deep spots. on a clear day you can usually see bottom so I just use weight to get down. the flow of my river at this moment is 85cfs and in the summer it can get worse! I am gonna try tomorrow for some steelhead. keep ya posted! can't use crayfish for those tho.
    Why not they are fish they will eat a crawdad..
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

5. Default Re: crayfish prototype

mostly see crayfish during the summer and fall. never in the winter or early spring.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Interesting, crayfish patterns are november/december patterns, along with sculpin patterns fished slow in the deep pools on the Truckee. once we hit January/February the recomendation is trailing copper johns or small nymphs under an indicator. I have done well with sculpins and wooly buggers also in January - tied in rootbeer brown and black or olive hackles (crayfish colors?). Our river is running at 300+ cfs not sure if that makes a difference in crayfish or not, but there you go......

d

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12