Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bunnies

Default Bunnies

After the success of my secret fly, I started making a hybrid of zonker strips and marabou. They look great (well out of the water). These are bigger flies as well. Pike and musky should love these guys. Personally I like marabou over bunny. They become larger profiles and tend to breathe better in the water. However, you can make a tail of marabou like you can a bunny strip. These are all tied on a 1/0 or larger hook with most being 3/0. Under the tail I tie a good amount of flash and well I put eyes on almost everything. I also add a small amount of a storm suspend strip to the shaft of the hook giving it a bit more weight. This helps get the fly to sink and reach several feet easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <*))))>< Fish with teeth ... If I ty it a fish will hit it

Default Re: Bunnies

Good looking fly, looks quite similar to Barr's Bouface.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

3. Default Re: Bunnies

I'm gonna have to make that first one in perch color. Awsome looking fly! A pike slayer!

Quote Originally Posted by kerryssz View Post
    I'm gonna have to make that first one in perch color. Awsome looking fly! A pike slayer!
    I tend to do best with yellow and oj myself. Didnt do too bad on the purple and orange either. I do think these will do very well for pike since they are in that 3-4 inch range. I think the bunny tail adds much needed girth to the over all profile. I like the way the bunny moves in the water but marabou seams to do much better and it is longer. I am an old musky hound and have for years been on marabou on in-line spinner baits more commonly known as bucktails. Since my faves are made of marabou over bucktail well you can see where I am going with this. I do have another pattern that has worked even better in the spring for pike. The best so far has been a 39" but I wont shair that pattern with anyone.

Blog Entries

MrEsox: Nice work! I'm sure those fish will attack those. Have you ever tried them on carp?

Larry

For carp...hm...well these are big, as long as your hand and with 5/0 hooks (these pictured anyways). I'd have to make a smaller one but prob would work on carp. We get some really big smallmouth Buffalo carp up here and a little bunny like these prob work

Blog Entries

Nice,

I like them, they would work good in the salt here. I tie a big fly like those to imitate candlefish. I fish in the surf on the bays for silvers as they move along the coast.

yes you can tie a tail of maribou like bunny of sorts, I'll post a pic later today..
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..