Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Sedges - favorites

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    I have considered tying in a tippet ring at the back of a fly to hang a dropper off. I seem to lose as many droppers from them sliding off of the hook.
    I have lost Trico spinner imitations that way. I have started just tying the dropper around the leader tippet using a clinch knot so it slides up and down the tippet. When a fish strikes the dropper, the fly tied directly to the tippet serves to stop the sliding. When I fish that way I always am using lighter material on the dropper than on the tippet so that I have never had a fish break off both flies although it could certainly happen.

I always disliked having leader coming off the bend of a hook anyway because I believe it causes problems when a fish tries to take the larger fly.

I can’t imagine trying to run thread through the ring in order to hold it in place. Especially thread strong enough to hold the pressure from a large fish.

Don

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    I have lost Trico spinner imitations that way. I have started just tying the dropper around the leader tippet using a clinch knot so it slides up and down the tippet. When a fish strikes the dropper, the fly tied directly to the tippet serves to stop the sliding. When I fish that way I always am using lighter material on the dropper than on the tippet so that I have never had a fish break off both flies although it could certainly happen.

I always disliked having leader coming off the bend of a hook anyway because I believe it causes problems when a fish tries to take the larger fly.

I can’t imagine trying to run thread through the ring in order to hold it in place. Especially thread strong enough to hold the pressure from a large fish.

Don
    I thought of using a larger 3.0 ring tied on with gel spun doubled over with a dab of super glue. I usually do this on a fly where the tail is non-existant, to begin with. I haven't tried it yet since I fail to order the larger tippet ring and I have to sit and tie some foam flies and just haven't gotten around to it. I like the idea of the fly above the main fly. It sounds simpler.

Bill

I guess the ring would allow for a lot of movement of the dropper.
    I've tied trailer hooks of the back end of flies on a loop of heavy mono. They can be tied vertically or horizontally depending on how you orient the dressing on the rear hook. I tie the mono on with thread wraps toward the eye, then fold both ends of the mono back and wrap to the rear, then glue the whole mess. When you dub over that, it gives the fly a wide flat shape. Easy to make a small loop to tie on a dropper. But the added weight of the metal loop- I'm guessing there's a shank under there- could be a benefit.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

4. Default Re: Sedges - favorites

This one works very well in the UK. Tied on a size 15 Tiemco 103BL

ATTACH=CONFIG]21606[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Likes brownbass liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12