Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Swarm

Default The Swarm

Some flies I tied up. Great for panfish and bows on stillwater.

Body: Embroidery thread
    Thorax: Peacock herl
    Legs: Centipede legs
    Head: Gold Bead

Default Re: The Swarm

Very nice woven flies, they look killer

Chris
    "the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD

Agree - nice pattern, big_e!

I can see those working really well on the stillwaters up here in the Poconos; for everything from trout to panfish and smallmouths.

How do you make a woven body? Also, do you tie in the legs on an angle across the hook or do you use the tension on the thread to angle them (like you would on a Chernobyl ant) and then add the 3rd straight across the hook?

Pocono

Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    Agree - nice pattern, big_e!

I can see those working really well on the stillwaters up here in the Poconos; for everything from trout to panfish and smallmouths.

How do you make a woven body? Also, do you tie in the legs on an angle across the hook or do you use the tension on the thread to angle them (like you would on a Chernobyl ant) and then add the 3rd straight across the hook?

Pocono
    Thanks.

The woven body is two different colors...back and abdomen and tied with a overhand knot weave.

Legs are tied in at each side (like the Chernobyl) and the top leg goes across the top. The herl is then wrapped amongst.

The trickiest part of this fly isn't the weave like you may think. Getting the legs positioned and flared correctly is.
    Last edited by big_e; 01-02-2011 at 08:36 AM.

I really like the effect that you got on the body; typical insect dark top / lighter underside.

Where can I look online to learn about weaving bodies? Something new for me.

Pocono

I really like the effect that you got on the body; typical insect dark top / lighter underside.

Pocono
    Probably the best and most comprehensive I've seen on various weave methods is in the book "Flytier's Benchside Reference."

If you don't have this book in your flytying library, I highly recommend it.

E

Blog Entries

Nice work E,

Your picture of the covey is cool. I don't use much in the way of dries or nymphs here but I always take a look at what we are posting on the board.

Me likey,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

E, really nice looking fly....

Dan

Blog Entries

Big E: Great looking pattern, I'm betting that would be a killer pattern on the local sagebrush lakes!

Larry
    Larry

big_e

That's a super, buggy looking collection--- it looks like a horde of alien invaders right out of a sci fi flick.

Really neat stuff!

Pocono
    Allan-

There are a bunch of different weaves you can do. The late great Al Campbell has some neat stuff on the Fly Angler's OnLine site:

Al Campbell’s stuff on fly Anglers On Line:

Tiger Weave
    Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 1"

Hook Weave
    Hook Weave EZ Stone- Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 2"

Pott’s Weave
    Woven Hackle Flies-Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 3"

Granny Weave
    Granny Weave Stonefly-Advanced Fly Tying - Fly Angler's OnLine - Part 4"

and here's a neat article from Hatches:
    http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/370
    Mark