Rainy Day Wonder

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
I've been attempting to design a 'gill fly that would catch fish of all sizes in most weather conditions, and in different water depths, and I think I've finally got it!!Tried it out yesterday for about 45min. in 50 degree rain and it caught fish from around 1 & 1/2in all the way to 8". Heres the pattern.

Rainy Day Wonder

Hook: standard wetfly or nymph, 10-14
Thread: Colour to match body, 8/0
Tail: Black, Olive, or Brown marabou, very short
Body: Four or five marabou strands, twisted and wrapped, colour matching tail
Rib:Silver or Gold wire, opoen wrapped
Eyes: Beadchain, colur to match rib
Head: Thread

1. Start thread and tie on eyes, wrap to hook bend

2. Tie in tail, then ribbing, the marabou for the body

3. Wrap marabou to behind the eyes , then counter wrap ribbing, trying not to pin down the fuzzy marabou.

4. Tie off ribbing, build up head in frontf eyes, and whip finish.

Notes: This fly can bedragged in the shallows like a nymph, as the fly rides hook point up, or you can fish it as a streamer in deeper water. Tight Lines!!

BigCliff

Reaction score
Sounds like a winner, and a bit like a damsel nymph. I've had great luck on one with a dubbed body and wrapped head (around eyes) with some spanflex tied in for legs right behind the eyes.

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
BigCliff, Sounds like a cool pattern ya got there.And ya, it does kinda look like a damsel nymph. I'll try to post a picture.

Steelhead Junkie

FrankB2

Reaction score
I pretty much tie 99.99999% of my Wooly Buggers by tying in the tail, and then wrapping the marabou forward. I think it looks much better than chenille,
and saves a couple of steps.

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Thanks Guys:) That FAQ should be helpful, and the buggers w/wrapped 'bou are sweet, especially with beadchain eyes.

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Just tried the thing out yesterday for a short time ( the gills e=were hittin' dries...:icon_roll) and it got some very confident stikes. The fish grabbed it without hesitation. Even got a crappie to try a bite....but, there lips are thin...I was excited... need I say more....:(:(

rag

Reaction score
I pretty much tie 99.99999% of my Wooly Buggers by tying in the tail, and then wrapping the marabou forward. I think it looks much better than chenille,
and saves a couple of steps.
Frank, what size bou do you wrap for the body? ! 1/2 hook gap?
I don't care for the chenille either.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Here's a pic I took with my cell phone:

I dunked two cameras to death in the past two years, and don't want to
send any more $$$ to China right now, so I don't have a macro mode at the
moment :D .

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Just got out today... Used the Rainy Day Wonder, and had a decent day for 80 degrees, and wind around 10mph. Caugh some average 'gills and a CRAPPIE:frogdance First on the Rainy Day Wonder!! Was tossing the fly into the windy end f a ond under an indicatour( until it flew off:mad:),. It seemed to wok just as well without.
FrankB2, is tat a Peak Rotary Vise??? How does it perform??

FrankB2

Reaction score
The vise is indeed a Peak Vise. It's a superb piece of fly tying ingenuity.
I use the rotary feature quite a bit with Wooly Buggers: wrapping the
marabou forward for a body; palmering the hackle; and also the ribbing when
used. It's become my best friend :D !

Good to hear the Rainy Day fly worked so well :) ! I caught a bunch of
crappie and a few LMB on the pattern in my vise this evening.

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Nice job on the fish!! Still no lmb availible to the flyrod angler, unless you put a 'crawler on your fly, and I'm NOT doingthat. Good tohear the vise is son nice!!! Have been considering that as a new vise for, say, twenty seconds after reading your review..... Really cool vise, and I'd LOVE to have a true rotary.... But wallet........Says I need a 12.95 special from Jann's Netcraft:frown::frown: