Switch Fly Rods

Dr. Blue Dun

Reaction score
I have been hearing about this type of rod from friends and none possessing same can tell me much about them beyond the name. Anyone willing to share a few words with me and the other millions tuned in about the What, Where, When How of "Switch Rods." Greatly appreciate the info---- :worthy:"Doc"

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
H Dr. Blue Dun,

A very good question. I think that most of us are not very knowledgeable about Spey Rods. We have a good number of Spey casters in the North West that fish for Steelhead and Salmon. Although there is not a lot of Salmon fishing due to restrictions.

A Switch Rod has a double grip like a normal Spey rod. They are not as long as a Spey Rod and can be casted with one hand, or used with a Spey cast, or with a double handed over head cast. They are great to make a long roll cast. They start at about 10'6" and maybe a little longer but not much.

I had a double grip rod made in Alaska thinking it would be great for Salmon and I could cast with one hand. I found that with a one hand cast the bottom grip got in the way or was awkward. I had the rear grip cut back into a fighting butt. My rod was 9'6". This was back in the late seventies and I didn't know I had a Switch rod made.:icon_smil If I had known about two handed cast I may have liked it.

Frank

Beulah Switch Rod
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Snaggy

Reaction score
Here's a tip...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOC!!!

Tried to message you but I guess you didn't want that option.
Sorry I had to use your thread.

Stay young,
Darin

Dr. Blue Dun

Reaction score
Switch Rod ???

I have heard this term used by some guys on the Salmon River---but when asked, their descriptions started an argument. So working here in my fly-tying den my thoughts turned to that, whilst tooling out some S & S flies. So what is a "SWITCH ROD?"

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Re: Switch Rod ???

Sound like great rods. I would like to learn Spey/2-hand casting, it looks like alot of fun.

Reaction score

Best I can tell - great for nymphing, big rods great for two hand casting in surf. I threw one at TFO the other day, and they have a real learning curve if you don't have a lot of experience (like myself). shannon

Reaction score
Doc,

I really don't have a lot of info on switch rods, but I did cast one for the first time, yesterday. I recently started spey casting, with a two-handed rod so I am by no means experienced. Anyways here is what I noticed as some big differences.

As Frank said, switch rods are shorter than spey rods. Also, a one-handed cast is much easier on a switch rod than on a spey rod. The switch rod was lighter (which I guess is probably obvious given the much shorter lengths). I felt that the switch rod was not as proficient at performing spey casts as a spey rod, because you could not spread your grip as far on the switch rod as you can with a spey rod.

Overall, if you were looking for a rod that was the best of both worlds, I think a switch would be the ticket. I prefer to use rods that master their particular intended use, rather than using rods that are more along the lines of "jack of all trades, master of none."

Hope this helps.

Ben

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
I endorse what Ben has said. I have a Sage Z-Axis 7110-4/5 "switch" rod which I bought for "big water" windy situations in the upper Rockies, with the possibility of Northwest steelhead/salmon fly-fishing. The lightness of the Z-Axis rod seems to me to add to its versatility for being a one-handed rod in addition to being a two-handed rod.

Joni

Reaction score

I was under the impression that a switch rod is 10' and longer two handed rods in LIGHTER weights like 4, 5, 6. AND you could use regular line on them, instead of the grain.

BigCliff

Reaction score

Meiser's rods are perfect examples, as he basically invented the genre. They're generally 6-10 wt and 10'6" to 12' long. They will generally have grips arranged like a spey rod, though both will be proportionately shorter.

Beulah makes some nice ones as well- Beulah Fly Rods - Switch Rods

mojo

Reaction score

Switch rods- use both hands like a spey, or switch and use it one handed.
Versitile enough to do both. Least that's what Meiser says.

randyflycaster

Reaction score

Cabelas also makes some switch rods. They don't look great, IMHO, but they cast pretty well.

Randy

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

Doc,

I believe the responses have cleared the mystery for you on the switch rod question. I'm not meaning to be the party pooper her but I started fishing the Salmon River when we had to fight with the snaggers for a spot to cast. In all of the years that I fished there I saw many fads for catching the fish come and go. I started with a 9' 9wt and stuck to my methods. I caught fish when fish were in the river and got skunked when there were none present in great numbers. When fishing for Kings I was always greatfull for my big stick when I was lucky enough to hook up to a big guy. I always fished at least a twenty pound leader even though the hook and snap bunch told me that my line would spook the fish. Somehow I managed to find enough careless fish to keep me coming back at least once or twice a year.

The place never seemed to me to be one where I wanted to try to touch base with the more poetic side of Salmon fishing so I kept it simple. If I were in the mood to explore switch or spey type casting and lived where you do I would seek out a more sublime and traditional place to get my start, New Brunswick comes to mind. I would think that even Maine and some Landlocked Salmon on the Penobscot River or Kennebec would be good on a long line but mixing it up with the crowd on the Dougleston Stretch would not be my first choice.

Please take no offense to my ponderance of opinion here, I'm just airing my thoughts. What type of tackle are you currently using to catch fish? If it's working then don't fix it.

Good Luck,

Ard

Fly2Fish

Reaction score

I've got a Sage Z-Axis 7110-4/5 "switch" rod, but unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. But I got it for the reasons expressed below, mainly flexibility in using either one or two hands. The two-handed Spey cast would be very useful in a lot of the situations I find myself in - trees or brush behind me, hampering a back cast yet needing the distance.

I guess I should explain for those who don't know Sage's nomenclature that it is an 11' 7-weight 4-piece (with an extra tip I had made for it by Sage).

MacFly55

Reaction score
... as a side point on this.. especially since it was stated that a spey cast is usually used with a switch rod.. I did some looking up a long time ago and found yet another term in the arsenal of the fly fisherman.. and that is switch cast..

now I was gonna post a link or two but realized that the ones I understood .. or almost understood.. are what would be considered competitive sites.. suffice it to say if you do a search on the switch cast you will see quite a few sites .. some with good videos..

MacFly

fyshstykr

Reaction score
How well would a Switch Rod work for Wipers?

Been thinkin that often times when your chasing 'Boils', a little extra distance wouldn't hurt.
So this type of rod could fit that niche' well, Don't you think?

Joni

Reaction score
How well would a Switch Rod work for Wipers?

Been thinkin that often times when your chasing 'Boils', a little extra distance wouldn't hurt.
So this type of rod could fit that niche' well, Don't you think?
I think that is the idea...more distance. When I met Dec Hogan at the pond, he had some Echo Switch rods for us to try...MAN! It was so easy. Put the butt in your belly and swing away. But also easy to cast one handed.