Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feathers i find?!

Blog Entries

Default feathers i find?!

i ride my dirtbike around alot and run over ALOT of feathers in the trail...so my question is could i use these feathers or do they have oils and stuff that needs to be cleaned out profesianly...and another question i have is i found what looks like a crow feather its all black are there any flys that need a pure black wing case or legs?

ive only been lucky enough to find 1 turkey feather so far....then i lost it on the way home
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

2. Default

The thing I would worry about is sanitation. Bird feathers are probably going to have mites and other parasites on them so you need to come up with a way to disinfect it. A good spray of lysol may do the trick. Hope this helps.

That crow feather may be good for some stonefly patterns.

Blog Entries

do you think freezing them would help?
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

Blog Entries

FIsher,

Put them in a zip loc bag with a moth ball or two if you are concerned. Any feather is good for fly tying.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

lol where can i find moth balls...i saw them at stores like ace when i was little but havent seen them in a while

flyfisher, Wally world should have them or you might even find them in one of the many dollar stores. I would definately do something with them to kill any unwanted critters that might be on them, you don't want to mess up everything you have with a bug infestation.
    One Out Of Four People In This Country Is Mentally Unbalanced.
    Think Of Your 3 Closest Friends...
    If They Seem Okay,
    Then You're The One!!!!!

Blog Entries

yea i think im gonna give them and my store bought feathers a good freeze today...it wouldnt surprise me if most of my store bought feathers havent gotten fleas or something from one of the dogs

Blog Entries

Smile Where do I find Moth balls??

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
    lol where can i find moth balls...i saw them at stores like ace when i was little but havent seen them in a while
    Dude, you are leaving yourself wide open with that question................ but I won't go there, Wal Mart will have them. When you invest in capes and all the other trimmings they are cheap insurance against any unwanted pests. Nothing that I know of likes moth balls.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

hmm maybe i should go to walmart more...the only thing i like from that store are the cheap fly boxes

Default Stick them in...

The microwave for about 30 seconds...I don't think any of the critters you have on the feathers will survive that.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast