Upstream or downstream....

Bigfly

Reaction score
Kelly, for my money, the hardest thing in fly fishing is having gunfighter quickness, while standing totally relaxed. Zen state. Heart rate down, breathing down, and hands that could impress Bruce Lee with small lightning blur sets. Of course you need to do this softly too......
Remember the bad guy is twitchy, and the good guy is chill.
Try not to do full body shudders everytime the bobber moves, on the otherhand, don't watch the whole thing go down like you watch a car accident.

I'm still seeing well far, but up close is killing me. Especially when fishing those damn midges.
And, I have met some old sissies.
Don't hang with'em though.
"This is (fishing) Sparta!"

Last edited:

madjoni

Reaction score
Kelly, for my money, the hardest thing in fly fishing is having gunfighter quickness, while standing totally relaxed. Zen state. Heart rate down, breathing down, and hands that could impress Bruce Lee with small lightning blur sets. Of course you need to do this softly too......
Try not to do full body shudders everytime the bobber moves, on the otherhand, don't watch the whole thing go down like you watch a car accident.

I'm still seeing well far, but up close is killing me. Especially when fishing those damn midges.
And, I have met some old sissies.
Don't hang with'em though.
"This is (fishing) Sparta!"
well said Bigfly ..... :cool::cool::cool:

oregonism

Reaction score
Try not to do full body shudders everytime the bobber moves, on the otherhand, don't watch the whole thing go down like you watch a car accident
I was definitely missing a lot of takes last time I was out (posted a thread on it). I got to the point where I was trying to set the hook so quickly, and therefore way harder than I should of, and I caught a few bushes 10ft above me.

I think getting more time on the river will help the nerves out a little bit. It seems like the really experienced guys are the ones that manage to set the hook with little more than a flip of the wrist.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I was definitely missing a lot of takes last time I was out (posted a thread on it). I got to the point where I was trying to set the hook so quickly, and therefore way harder than I should of, and I caught a few bushes 10ft above me.

I think getting more time on the river will help the nerves out a little bit. It seems like the really experienced guys are the ones that manage to set the hook with little more than a flip of the wrist.
Practice really does make perfect. Get on the water and experience the situations and soon you'll be hooking up with the best of them. Just remember that if they ate your fly that you fooled them and that means you chose the right fly for the situation, made a good presentation and enticed the fish to eat your fly - well done.

Kelly.

Bigfly

Reaction score
So true Kelly, every year a client or two manages to hook a biggy fish, and the meeting is often about 3-5 seconds long. Setting on and playing a fish are separate skills that you can't learn until you cast and present well.
Each step of this game is learned in turn.
But the important first step is getting them to look at your fly.
After that, it's like sales. Pitch enough customers, and you will eventually close the deal.
When I picked up the switch rod, I started missing a few more fish than usual. A bigger sweep-set was required, and my close-up game changed too.
After some practice, and buying a longer handled net, my stats have improved.
The lessons are never ending.

Jim

Last edited: