Page 63 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Default Re: Reel Love, the fly reel Picture Thread;

I had a Hardy Swift 1025 Made In England version a few years ago and sold it. I've regretted it ever since because it would have been a good reel for a switch rod; so this MK II version came up on ebay and I jumped on it; has a new speydicator 6wt line too so I just need a good 6wt switch rod now

"I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Blog Entries

great looking hardy wf
    what rod are you puttin that bad boy on?

casey

ARFE

Quote Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
    great looking hardy wf
    what rod are you puttin that bad boy on?

casey
    Thanks, I'm hoping to put it on a Sage Z-axis 11' 6wt; I'll be on the hunt for a deal all winter
    "I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)

Blog Entries

I like the Swift also, after picking up a Uniqua 11/12 and now seeing this reel of yours I would rather have the Swift on appearance. I haven't posted the Uniqua yet (better get with it) but aside from the finish I expect it will work just fine. Do you know how much this reel of yours weighs ...............

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

wannafish...that reel looks too good. I did NOT need to see that.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
    Thanks, I'm hoping to put it on a Sage Z-axis 11' 6wt; I'll be on the hunt for a deal all winter
    Great looking reel. That's a wonderful rod to fish with, I am loving mine. The reel and the Speydicator line should should make a great pairing with the 6110 Z.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Blog Entries

I guess I've waited long enough, I'm hoping that by spring it seems like one of my reels. I ran into a problem a while back; never having felt that my Hardy Spey rod was loading correctly I contacted the people at Carron Lines in Scotland. The rod is a 1981 13' 9" graphite so this was a problem requiring some expertise and that of people who would be familiar with a rod of this make & vintage. Carron took some time to find a "older gentleman" who was "quite familiar with the older Hardy rods", they then prescribed a Carron Jetstream 10/11 weight with a 65' belly. The total length of the line is 130'.

When I tried to replace the 770 grain Partridge Ian Gordon 150' long belly on my Cascapedia 8/9 the problem surfaced. The Big Fat jetstream would not fit on my reel So, what are ya gonna do, I needed a reel and I wanted a Hardy reel.

So;

No doubt this reel will work but it's light, at 8.6 ounces it is considerably light compared to the 12.5 ounce Cascapedia. It is also my first S. Korean reel so there's that to deal with mentally.............

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Sheer beauty. You did good!!
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Ard, the Uniqua is sharp! I eyed one of those on ebay but was outbid. I can't remember what the bare Swift weighs but with the 6wt Speydicator (140') and backing it's just under 10 ounces. The original Swift I had was Made in England and had a few small differences; price (higher), sound (louder), handle (not metal), and slightly different drag(indents were audible as I remember). It was the 1025 which has the same size frame as the 1000 but a deeper spool.

Blog Entries

Ard,

That's a great looking reel regardless of where it was made. We both know that it will perform, it's a Hardy for goodness sake! My guess is after the first fish or two, any mental roadblocks about the country of origin will be long gone. I hope it gives you the balance you're looking for once paired up with the rod.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Page 63 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast