Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make my own fly reel

1. Default Make my own fly reel

I have purchased numerous fly reels. I have been fairly happy with most, but never "Loved" anyone in particular. So I am going to make my own. I will use anodized alumium or stainless steel. It will be a 5/6. I have my basic design done, but I guess I am asking, what would other people want in a reel? One thing I have done is to have a guard on the edge of the reel and drag wheel to prevent it from getting banged up and allow for a better touch when wet.
    Thanks for reading this.

Default Re: Make my own fly reel

My fishing partner's hand made reel in pictured in this book

Michael*L.J.*Hackney: The Reelsmith's Primer:
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Did you by any chance check out that forum? There are some amazing reels being posted on there. Very cool.
    The Reelsmithing Forum • Index page

4. Default Re: Make my own fly reel

I have not. I will check it out. Thanks

Hi cwarren3784,

I have seen a few home made bar stock reels and all of them were too heavy. If you are going to attempt this I assume you have a lathe and a mill with the knowledge to work with close tolerances. Unless you are a fantastic machinist/designer your first try may fall short. You can probably make a lighter reel with Aluminum but you also have the problem of a finish. If you can make a better reel than you can buy on your first attempt then my hat is off to you.

Hmm, I just went back and reread your post and you didn't say anything about a bar stock reel. So maybe my comments are way off. If you have never loved any particular reel you have purchased I wonder what reels you have owned? There are a lot of great reels out there. We are kind of in the best place in history for the quality and features of the reels available.

Frank

Hi.
    Just a few clues,seeing I've always admired the Ari T hart Reels If I was going to make a Reel for my own use,as copying for sales can land you in all sorts of troubles,I would make it along the same design concept.
    Having worked in Industry as a Toolmaker for many years,many years ago & also having Flyfished for yonks with the heavier Old Style Reels,the main thing as Frank has said is to keep it as light as possible.
    I would look at using one of the Modern,lighter commercial spools & working around that as making one would take enormous time needed to do the lightening & if you have access to machinery needed wouldn't be worth programming for,as you will have enough work making the Reel Seat,Spindle,Drag,Knobs,screws,etc,etc,& the list goes on.
    In the end you mightn't have a Reel you completely built however believe me you won't have all the headaches.
    I know as I still have half unfinished products I started years ago.
    In the long run you will find you will go back to a Commercial Reel as most of The Modern ones are really great,also the prices are reasonal.
    As Dan has said there are Handcrafted Reels around,I've seen some & they are llike anchor weights.
    Good Luck as you will need it & plenty of time.
    Brian.
    PS. I would like to see the design.
    Last edited by Liphookedau; 05-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm with the guys who wonder what you have owned. I have some very nice light reels and some I really like.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Sometimes light is not so good. My Albright spey rod balances perfect with a 13 oz reel. Just what my 4GAR PENN fly reel weighs. Now try and find something else that weighs that much because like most things I really like, it has been discontinued. In fact I have been talking with Allen flyfishing about bigger reels that they have not gone all port happy with. It seems like the more time that goes by, the worse it gets. Pretty soon our reels will blow away in a stiff breeze.
    Last edited by Frank Whiton; 05-20-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: No Edit

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Sometimes light is not so good. My Albright spey rod balances perfect with a 13 oz reel. Just what my 4GAR PENN fly reel weighs. Now try and find something else that weighs that much because like most things I really like, it has been discontinued. In fact I have been talking with Allen flyfishing about bigger reels that they have not gone all port happy with. It seems like the more time that goes by, the worse it gets. Pretty soon our reels will blow away in a stiff breeze.
    My new Alpha II will much heavier. I received my prototypes yesterday, but I didnt like the wall thickness of the frame and spools and I'm having them machined again.

Dan's right you want your outfit to be balanced,however on the other hand as we all get older using a heavy outfit is like carrying a heavy Rifle around,it might be OK for a couple of hours,all day is another thing.

Ard some of the Reels I have & had as well as used are Hardy's,some of the Young's English Reels,Airflo,Scientific Anglers,Loop,Cussons Troutmaster as well as other Australian made Reels,Abu,Shakespeare,Leeda,Redington,Sage,White River,Penn,Bauer,Loomis,Danica,Marryat,Mitchell,so me I liked others were just Reels.
    I am waiting on a 9/10 Allen Reel which I hope to use on a Switch Rod.
    Brian.
    Last edited by Liphookedau; 05-20-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast