Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullhead on the fly

Default Bullheads and more.

These fish are such smell feeders that last time I looked no one has entered one in the IGFA fly rod tippet records! I have caught a couple but in truth it was after catchign a slew of Bluegills, Sunfish and what have you. I'm sure the fly smelled like a fish! To deliberately scent your fly, for record purposes, is a no no and some folks even say by fly fishing ethics it's a no no also but I'm betting that one that was bedraggled and slimed by some sunfish would be fair game! Channel and Blues are more sight feeders and hit flys readily but those Bullheads and Flatheads, both heavy smell feeders, take a bit of priming on the old pump before they'll hit.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Bullhead on the fly

All IGFA tipper classes are filled for Brown Bullheads most are filled for Black Bullheads and several are filled for Yellow Bullheads. Unless the anglers have experienced the mayfly phenomenon that I have I suspect some scenting of flys may have occurred . Scenting, pork rind or bait of any kind is strictly forbidden in I G F A fly fishing rules. Even so there are several Blue Shark and one Goliath Grouper record caught outside of these guidelines. The real challenge is to use a fly with no additives. If it can be done with carp and sturgeon it can be done with all the eligible species.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

That's been done in just the past few years then for they were unfilled for the longest. I'm sure that someone has figued it out.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

Will Rodgers

4. Default Re: Bullhead on the fly

Size 12 & 10 darkish bead head nymphs work well. Fish them just off bottom. Go ahead and catch a few of the Sunfish, there scent will add to your catch rate. A 2 lb. bullhead is alot of fun on a 5 wt.

Drag a Craw fish pattern on the bottom of a shallow creek in semi stained water. I cath bokos of yellow flat heads on bass flys in the summer. It helps that the water gets up to 80 degrees down here in the summer.

The bullhead records started coming in recently 1999-2001and most aren't the same people multiple times . So these individuals must have the secret.

Right. Same with Flatheads is my bet. I did catch one Flathead on a jig years back but that jig had just caught several walleyes also so it was scented but have never caught one on a fly per se.
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

Will Rodgers

I've targeted shovelheads here and there. They can be caught pretty easy if you know where they are and what they want. I live in flathead heaven around here and I get all kinds of flak from the bait-tossers. Heavy clousers pitched in thick cover work great. I have a secret technique that I won't give away, but I'll drop a massive hint. Fish at night and use *Cough*Glow-in-the-dark material*Cough*

If you drift clousers and buggers though holes I've caught them on accident that way too.

Talking Re: Bullhead on the fly

Channels , flatheads and blue cats are aggressive and will hit live baitfish quite regularly. Just three days ago I was hammering small channels on buggers. But to get any of the three species of BULLHEADS to hit a fly is a totally different story! With they exception of the mayfly hatch phenomen occurrence I mentioned in an earlier post I think without scenting the fly you aren't catching BULLHEADS! I sent an email to the IGFA to find out what flies the two guys that hold all the tipper records for all three species used. I'm betting that it's a very spongy pattern.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    I'm betting that it's a very spongy pattern.
    Hopefully it didn't "happen" to fall into anything odorous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast