Thread: help with knot tying

1. Default help with knot tying

i need help. can someone direct me to an illustration on how to tie my leader to my fly line? what is the best knot to use?

Default Re: help with knot tying

Hi Hunter991,

Orvis has good animated knot tying instructions. Go to this site. Use a nail knot to tie your leader to the fly line tip. You can also add a short 6" section of 25lb mono to the fly tip using the nail knot. They tie a perfection loop in the end of the mono. Now all you do is tie the leader on with a loop to loop connection. The Tie Fast tool does a great job of tyeing your leader to the fly line. If you like to tie your leader directly to the fly line I would get a Tie Fast tool. This will make it easier and faster.

3. Default Re: help with knot tying

Hunter,

The nail knot takes some practice. Frank's got you headed in the right direction. The only thing I would add is that you will have to modify your nail knot to a saltwater version if you are using a sink tip. The sink tips just don't seem to have enough of a soft coating for the leader butt to grab on to and tend to slip off if you don't loop the line back like they do for SW terminations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mike

4. Default Re: help with knot tying

Quote Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
    i need help. can someone direct me to an illustration on how to tie my leader to my fly line? what is the best knot to use?
    I second the loop to loop connections. At least for me, I love loops over knots. Of course, the leader tends to "hang up" at the connection sometimes on a bad cast.

5. Default Re: help with knot tying

The redoubtable Lefty Kreh has a new book out on knot tying. I am a miserable knot tyer. All I can suggest is to practice, practice and practice some more. Dealing with monofiliment is a pain. Fly Tying magazine has a video on using a hemostat to tie clinch knots. This technique has made my knot tying life a lot easier, except I lost my "hemo" in the drink this morning. Thought I had it pinched onto my fishing vest jacket. Well, I guess I didn't.