Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When Is A Strike Indicator NOT A Bobber?

Midwest, but wish I lived in north or west

Default Re: When Is A Strike Indicator NOT A Bobber?

Quote Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
    overweight the indicator so that it partially sinks. This allows more vertical movement of the flies and seems to dampen the rigid depth controlling effect of the indy. One can effectively make the whole setup equally buoyant with the water under certain conditions, while maintaining a linear setup between the top and bottom of the rig. Although an unweighted/non-indy setup can also be neutrally buoyant,
    tbblom, maybe you can clear the mud from my eyes as I enter the halls of noobdom....Initially you are writing about gaining more vertical movement. Fine. Did you then switch to horizontal movement topic? ...I just erased the next sentence. My mind says a floating indicator can't be neutrally buoyant c the rig & all be horizontal & subsurface, but then (idea!) ... Well, instead of guessing, I'll just see if you will pls clarify. Then, why?, if it doesn't become obvious.

And now we are getting to the heart of things! And as the other poster alluded, conventional and fly will overlap. A good idea may not just be a good idea for fly fishing it may also benefit the conventional angler(& vice versa). Having picked up a friend's spinning rod no more than 5 times in 2 years, I can't speak to the creativity and ideas which have come from conventional anglers. I'm also not a pro with strike indicators, hence my questions here. I believe fly anglers, in general, need to be willing to learn quite a bit to be successful with a fly, so I felt certain tactics with indicators specific to fly fishing needs would have been developed.

Sorry, must have convoluted the two methods I was describing.

The first is more horizontal, using the indicator as an anchor to pivot the flies around an eddy(although it will not be truly horizontal). The orientation of the setup is closer to horizontal, and drifting horizontally. Adding a floatant soaked San Juan as the last fly will make the setup oriented more horizontally.

For vertical movement, the indicator itself will never be neutrally buoyant. But attached to a few nymphs and some split shot,the whole setup from bottom to top can become more neutrally buoyant as a whole unit. Just use a small indicator and add weight below until the indicator rides sub-surface and you have created neutral buoyancy for the setup. The orientation of the setup here is vertical, and drifting horizontally.

Hope this is helpful to the original question about using bobbers in unconventional ways.

Instagram page @tblom77

Midwest, but wish I lived in north or west

Thanks, all is clear. The eddy description made sense before and I will refer to that in my article, if you don't mind. I just read more into the latter paragraph, actually uncertain if you were writing about 1 or two different scenerios there. Sounds like how I often use an indicator except for overweighting the indicator. When I accidentally do that, I think that 'that is wrong, I need to adjust that'. BUT, while it may be wrong for the situation, I need to remind myself to ask, 'but is there a way this could be helpful in another situation.' I believe fly fishing really lends itself to that kind of thought/learning & is one reason why I'm so passionate about it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123