Thread: newbie in need of advice

1. Question newbie in need of advice

Hi everybody,
    Well I am new to fly fishing seems much diferent than baitcasting.
    I have been trying to learn as much as i can,I think I understand about rod
    and reels some things about line wt. and the such but what about flies
    I will be fishing primaraly the Kern River in central CA for trout.I am using x5
    tippet what size fly? I have alway's wanted to try Fly fishing and as I
    approach 40 now is the time---Long over due.I can see that there is alot
    to learn but I know I will enjoy meeting new people and of course enjoying
    the out doors.

Default Re: newbie in need of advice

Welcome to the group!

It sounds like you are basing your decision of what flies to fish on the size of tippet you have already bought. The decision should go more like this: Figure out what the fish you are after are eating -> choose a fly to match their food -> then fish it on a tippet that matches it. 5x is a pretty safe bet for being the right size for trout fishing, but I just wanted to outline what I think is a better process to use.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

3. Default Re: newbie in need of advice

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    Welcome to the group!

It sounds like you are basing your decision of what flies to fish on the size of tippet you have already bought. The decision should go more like this: Figure out what the fish you are after are eating -> choose a fly to match their food -> then fish it on a tippet that matches it. 5x is a pretty safe bet for being the right size for trout fishing, but I just wanted to outline what I think is a better process to use.
    Thanks Cliff for the info.like I said there is alot to learn but i am willing to listen to those who know.Thanks again.

Default Re: newbie in need of advice

Hi foodguy,

Welcome to the forum.

Will you be fishing the upper Kern above Lake Isabella or below Lake Isabella to Bakersfield. The river below the lake holds some huge trout but you have to know where to fish. Your local fly shop is your best source for flies and tips on where to fish. It was in the 50's the last time I fished the Kern. Here is a link to some fishing above Kernville up into the Golden Trout country.

Back about 1954 I installed a carrier system into the Kernville Telephone Co. They had their manual switchboard set up in the front room. The carrier equipment and batteries were out in a garage. It was a family run business and the switchboard was available only when somebody was awake or at home. The good old days.

5. Default Re: newbie in need of advice

Hi Frank thanks for the welcome,This weekend i will be fishing the upper kern around Johnsdale bridge.thanks for the link will look at it later.