Tools/Materials Source

easttexas90

Reaction score
Just got a Renzetti Presentation 4000 and looking forward to getting started. My wife has purchased a Kaufman Streamborn kit for me to start out with that I will get for Christmas.

I need some tools/cements etc. Do you have any recomendations on where to purchase (via internet as I am rural) and brands. All help appreciated. I guess I would like a go to source with some good brands. I am also looking to buy a good bench or some organizational system as I already have stuff every where.

Joni

Reaction score
Feathercraft is a great magazine source. I like the Dr Slick for Scissors and any make of bobbers as long as they are either teflon or ceramic coated. As far as other tools, anything works for me such as Hackle pliers (seldom use them) and the whip finisher, I prefer this one, but it all depends on what you learn with and get use to.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi easttexas90,

You seem to have a good start. For fly tying materials or tools, there are three that I recommend. These three sources have good quality stuff and have a high turnover of inventory. I have found the hackle and fur from the first two to be as advertised. Tiemco hooks are a good choice. Dr. Slick makes good tools. There are so much fly tying stuff out there it would be best to ask about particular items as the need comes up.

1. Kaufmann's Streamborn

2. Feather Craft

3. Orvis

Frank

FISHN50

Reaction score
Try any of the shops that support this site or try Cabella's, LL Bean,
Hook & Hackle etc. . Frank & Joni are right on with their recomendations for tools. Most of the time if you buy quality you only buy once. As for Storage, I got by with a large tackle box for a few years & now I just keep my tying tools in it & I keep most of the feathers etc. in labled plastic shoeboxes. For the tying area I basically just put a strip of 1"X1" oak on 3 sides of a 20"X20" oak plank. I drilled holes in the oak strips so I could stick some tools in it & "voila" a fly tying bench.

fishn50

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I forgot to mention The Full Creel. They offer this tool set from Dr. Slick. We should always try to buy from our sponsers.

Frank

Dr Slick Tool Set

ROVER

Reaction score
I never use the cement for anything and it's never caused me any problems if you finish right. I think its a waste of money but thats personal opinion.

headhunter

Reaction score
unless you are building up a head...cement is really not needed. If you feel the need to use it...cheap alternative is sally hansen hard as nails...

99 percent of the time I use a shot of crazy glue on the threads for piece of mind...cheap and effective.

Alex Guthrie

Reaction score
If you want to get started quicker you can make a trip to Big D to several flyshops to get basics. Crazy glue and nail glue works well most of the time.

Alex Guthrie

Reaction score
I'm really struggling to get the hang of this whip finisher, i can't seem to keep the thread on when twisting it. it's making me crazy!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm really struggling to get the hang of this whip finisher, i can't seem to keep the thread on when twisting it. it's making me crazy!
Hi Alex,

You are not alone, I always had trouble with that dang tool. My problem is I don't use the whip finish very often so I never got good with it. I prefer to whip finish by hand. We had a thread about this a while back. A lot of tyers whip finish by hand.

Frank

Alex Guthrie

Reaction score
Thanks Frank, now I don't feel so uncoordinated. I used too not have a problem with it and like you i quit using it,actually i got away from tying for a few years. when i started getting back into tying i had lost the ability with the tool , i'll keep trying or whip by hand and use plenty of glue.