Thread: Caught one on a fly I tied

Blog Entries

Default Caught one on a fly I tied

So I bought a peak rotary vise and about $450 worth of hooks, dubbing beads etc etc etc , yeah this is gonna be a cheap hobby

Anyway so I managed to tie up a bunch of size 18 rainbow warriors, poison tung's and the usual assortment of "easier" patterns. Yesterday even though the dries were really hammering them I threw on a 18 rainbow warrior as a dropper....fish on woohoo camera out.....finned him. He missed the dry and the dropper got him. Close but no cigar, so I then tied on a size 18 holographic pheasant tail , think pheasant tail wrapped in tinsel and I caught me a nice little fish. I was all excited til I caught back up with my buddy and said any luck on what I tied. His answer was biggest fish I've ever caught in this river. We were on a smallish mountain stream. He proceeds to tell me he sight fished to a beauty that turned out to be a 17" brown.

Ive found in 10 days tying is addictive already. I have tied up 6 or 7 dozen midges and nymphs already

Do many of you tend to give more away to your buddies than you keep for yourself. I can see this happening to me as I tend to stick with what Rocky Mt Flyfisher calls confidence patterns.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Blog Entries

Default Re: Caught one on a fly I tied

Always happy to hear a success story, your friend was at least using your fly so the fish is also to your credit. your own 17" brown will come.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors