Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Recommendation

1. Default Line Recommendation

Just picked up a three forks 3wt and looking for a good DT 3-F line recommendation.....
    The head, the tail, the whole damn thing

Default Re: Line Recommendation

Hi Fishstick,
    Try using the "search" feature on top of this page, would be a good place to start.

The SA XPS line would be a good one.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Hi Fishstick,

Here are some specs of SA's XPS and the RIO Selective Trout. Both of these lines would be a good choice. RIO uses a longer front taper and the belly may be a little smaller than the SA. The RIO may be a little more versatile and the SA may roll cast easier. I don't mean to say that the RIO doesn't roll cast well, I am sure it does. I can't say definitively as I have not cast either of these lines. My comments are based on the construction of the two lines as shown in the specs. The two links below will take you to more complete specs.

Frank

SA's XPS

RIO's Selective Trout

5. Default Re: Line Recommendation

I would recommend the classic peach colored Cortland 444 in a double taper. Super supple and easy casting.
    All Means All

6. Default Re: Line Recommendation

I am going to say the Rio Selective Trout. One thing it is on sale to make room for the II, but the first generation is awesome. I was guiding a client on a windy day. He cast into the wind and the line was so straight, I thought he was snagged, but he lift the line right off the water and laid it out perfectly straight again. It was the DT also.

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I am going to say the Rio Selective Trout. One thing it is on sale to make room for the II, but the first generation is awesome. I was guiding a client on a windy day. He cast into the wind and the line was so straight, I thought he was snagged, but he lift the line right off the water and laid it out perfectly straight again. It was the DT also.
    Once again, good call Joni! I don't know that rod at all to suggest another line but for a good, general all-around line the Selective Trout is hard to beat and now that you can find them at a huge discount all around? No brainer for me!

8. Default Re: Line Recommendation

Noted and thanks to all.

Fishstick, don't forget to tell us what line you decided on and how it is working on your 3wt.

Frank

10. Default Re: Line Recommendation

Will do. Still waiting for the rod to arrive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast