Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth fishing if it is raining?

Default Re: Is it worth fishing if it is raining?

BWO's before the downpour. Nuff said!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

okuma Guest

Should be fine bus. Hmmm...there's that mustachio gang man again

Fishing is supposed to be fun. You either enjoy fishing in the rain or you don't. If you won't have fun, then why bother? If you can enjoy the fishing you think you'll do, then why not? Some fish are worth fishing in the rain for. Some aren't. You have to decide if you're an "all weather die-hard", "fair-weather", or likely somewhere in between since you're asking. Some waters and/or fish are worth the inconvenience of certain weather elements, be they heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, or whatever.

As has been said, the fish are already wet. Weather conditions may change how and where they feed or what they feed on, but they still gotta eat. If you go, be prepared to change your tactics or accept your chosen tactic may not work as well as you might like.

Depends a lot on what the weather conditions have been like in the previous days (and weeks). After a bit of dry weather a rain can really turn on the bite.

Just watch out for steep banks & muddy trails.
    Mike

5. Default Re: Is it worth fishing if it is raining?

I think you just have to ask yourself this, would I rather stay home, do chores and sit looking at a screen, or be on a trout stream?

you already know the answer, just embrace it
    The tug is the drug

Only if it's a really hot day and a cool rain. Just look at the grimmace on Dan's face. You can tell he's trying hard to pretend he's having fun.
    Yes,,Dan is miserable. His friends all went home and he had to lift that big ol' fish all my himself. Fishing is a miserable,wet, dirty, thankless job. But,,someone HAS to do it !

Thanks, guys. You see, I am new to this stuff. I didn't know if fish in a shallow stream would act differently if it were raining. And I didn't know if the rain hitting the water would make it harder for the fish to see the fly. Never thought it would help hide ME instead.

Thanks for all the help. Gotta love this place!!

Ray

Are you fishing the tribs for steelhead or trouting?
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

From my 'readings' the change in barro-pressure (down) with rain can have a negative impact on lake fishing. Not true with stream/river fishing as that's always changing (water depth from spot to spot) anyway.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I don't think the rain is the main issue, but the cold front. I never thought that a change in baro pressure affected stream fish like it does lake and pond fish. But anymore I am not so sure.

The second weekend of Nov I found myself fishing on one of my favorite spring creeks. Saturday was unseasonably warm and the bite was good. That night it started to rain and sometime on Sunday morning the cold front hit. We caught a few trout but had to work for them much harder than we did the day before. The rain by the way did not affect the water clarity nor was there a significant rise.

If it was me I would give it a shot. Especially on the first day. If things go down hill after that you can always stay in and tie fles.

Dave

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast