Thread: Furled leader question

Blog Entries

Default Furled leader question

I picked up several furled leaders at the Denver show but was seeking some clarification as I've never used them. I bought dry fly and Nymphing furled leaders thinking I would put a dry fly leader on my ZXl since i fish dries with it and a nymph one on my Zaxis since I nymph with it.

What do you all do, if I am running a dry fly leader and want to nymph do you switch them out or just run a nymph and vice versa ?
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Default Re: Furled leader question

It depends on who's leaders they are. For example Joni's do well either way as will most but the dry fly leader from Cutthroat Leaders has a longer finer transition to the tippet whish makes nymphing a bit more work. So I guess it all depends on the amount of taper built into the leader.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    It depends on who's leaders they are. For example Joni's do well either way as will most but the dry fly leader from Cutthroat Leaders has a longer finer transition to the tippet whish makes nymphing a bit more work. So I guess it all depends on the amount of taper built into the leader.
    They are from CutThroat, so I guess my MO will be since I got several

I have 2 rods that are exclusively dry fly rods, I will put the furled leaders on those. Then I have a rod that is almost exclusively nymphing so I will put a nymph one on their. All other rods I can run traditional leader and that will make those furleds last a long time as they will each only get used 6 or 8 times per year.

I would imagin with floatant I can make the nymph one float better and therefore running a dry or hopper / dropper set up wont be a big issue.

***edit***
    Since they are loop to loop leaders I guess it wouldnt be to cumbersome to swap them out during the day as well.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

I don't mean to sound condescending, but short of a material that sinks (for the nymph leader) or a material that is buoyancy neutral/ floating (for the dry leader)-- I doubt you will see any difference in the 'performance' of them.

Realistically, I doubt that the taper of the leader has much effect on the 'castability' of an 18 or 20 dry that it wouldn't also have on an 18 or 20 nymph.

If one isn't specifically a sinking leader, use the one that is thinner, longer.

Hope this gives you confidence-- either way, you will catch fish.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
    I don't mean to sound condescending, but short of a material that sinks (for the nymph leader) or a material that is buoyancy neutral/ floating (for the dry leader)-- I doubt you will see any difference in the 'performance' of them.

Realistically, I doubt that the taper of the leader has much effect on the 'castability' of an 18 or 20 dry that it wouldn't also have on an 18 or 20 nymph.

If one isn't specifically a sinking leader, use the one that is thinner, longer.

Hope this gives you confidence-- either way, you will catch fish.
    Trust me, I dont take it as condescending, I need all the info I can get as I litterally have never used one. Any and all information is welcome.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

I have used both Joni's and Cutthroat's leaders and on both of them I put the leader on and fish the hell out of it till it breaks, then put a new one on. At home I will attempt to do surgery on the furled leaders that have broke to try to save their lives, but more often than not, they aren't worth trying to fix by the time I'm done with them. When I start the day, I put Loon aquel or payette paste on the leader to help it float. After several fish it starts to sink if I am using a dry fly. I squeeze as much water as I can out of it with my fingers then do several false casts to dry it out, then apply more floatant. When I'm nymphing, the leader becomes water logged and sinks pretty quick so I don't even bother with floatant. When I am switching between nymphs and dries, I don't bother changing the leader, but I will change tippet sizes and will attempt to dry the leader if I am going from nymph to dry. I hope my rambling on provides some sort of help or answer....

-Chase