New PA guy

jlaskin

Reaction score
Hi,

I just signed up for this forum and figured I'd start a thread to introduce myself. I live in Philly and have been fishing my whole life (mostly largemouth bass and saltwater - Delaware bay). 2 seasons ago I got into fly fishing on my own and loved it. I am not all that great at it, but am learning for sure. I fish in valley creek (valley forge park section the most) and have fished in Ridley creek and hickory run a few times.

Is anyone on here familiar with the area and maybe have some suggestions of spots to try? I hear the tulpehocken and little lehigh are good for trout fishing, but also crowded which is why I have not fished them yet. I am considering trying out mud run this weekend. I really enjoy more remote spots that may even require a bit of hiking to get to.

Thanks!
Josh

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Josh,

I moved your thread to Member Introductions, you'll get more exposure here. Rather than waiting for direct feedback from folks in your area (there are quite a few on here) go ahead and post to some other threads also. We've had a couple people from your area join just recently and ask pretty much the same thing.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

jlaskin

Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't see that section when I first signed on here. Ill do some more browsing later to try to find people posting about spots near me.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Josh: Welcome to the forum! I can't help with PA fishing, but I'm sure others will see this thread and offer some insights. Best of luck.

Larry

stenacron

Reaction score
Josh,

I want you to get out your PA Atlas & Gazatteer and plot a course for the Lehigh Valley Region about an hour+ drive north of you. Find the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area and seek out streams like the Little Lehigh River (as you mentioned), Monocacy Creek, Saucon Creek, Bushkill Creek, and my favorite - Martins Creek.

Most of these streams are limestone spring influenced, very fertile, and loaded with wild brown trout. I left the area about 3 years ago but I have a lot of fond memories on all of those streams. The crowds are dying down now (hatchery trucks stopped making their rounds) and it is SULPHUR TIME! Best hatches of the season from now through most of June.

Here's a quick article that I put together a few years ago to get folks primed up for those wonderful little yellow mayflies: Pennsylvania Fly Fishing - The Sulphurs are here! - PaFlyFish.com - Blog

If you find yourself making the journey to that area I can hook you up with specific directions. Great streams and great hatches and now is the time!

Welcome to the site and tight lines! ;)

P.S. If you enjoy a challenge, all of these streams have tremendous Trico hatches starting around last week in June and spinnerfalls will occur every morning up until just about the first frost. Nothing like sight casting to a foot and a half long brown trout with a #26 spinner imitation.

Reaction score
Hey Josh, i live in Philly too. Sometimes fish Valley Creek, but the fish there are HARD to catch - never caught one, ever.

Also fished Ridley, and mostly fish the Tully at Reading usually around Papermill, where i've never seen more than 5 guys, and the odd trip to the Upper Delaware for wild browns

Welcome to the forum. If you wanna get together to fish, let me know.

Eunan

stenacron

Reaction score
Hey Josh, i live in Philly too. Sometimes fish Valley Creek, but the fish there are HARD to catch - never caught one, ever.

Also fished Ridley, and mostly fish the Tully at Reading usually around Papermill, where i've never seen more than 5 guys, and the odd trip to the Upper Delaware for wild browns

Welcome to the forum. If you wanna get together to fish, let me know.

Eunan
Eunan,

See my previous post on this thread, you guys should get together and car pool it to the Lehigh Valley. Those streams are teaming with trout... MUCH more productive than Valley Creek! You can fish the Martins and the Bushkill in the same day easily.

Saucon Creek runs right under I78 near Hellertown as well.

Even the upper (big) Lehigh River north of the gap at Blue Mountain... I have caught many trout, BIG trout fishing just upstream of the Turnpike bridge (Parryville area, park on the north side, close to where the Pohopoco empties in by the diner, walk upstream past the Rock Hill Cement property, and cross the river to the island from there)...

OK, don't laugh... here's a "quickie" map from PowerPoint ;-)

Caught a 19" brown about 4 years ago (late May) standing right about at the end of that wading path arrow, casting to the chute riffle on the south side of the island... #16 Rusty Spinner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Eunan,

See my previous post on this thread, you guys should get together and car pool it to the Lehigh Valley. Those streams are teaming with trout... MUCH more productive than Valley Creek! You can fish the Martins and the Bushkill in the same day easily.

Saucon Creek runs right under I78 near Hellertown as well.

Even the upper (big) Lehigh River north of the gap at Blue Mountain... I have caught many trout, BIG trout fishing just upstream of the Turnpike bridge (Parryville area, park on the north side, close to where the Pohopoco empties in by the diner, walk upstream past the Rock Hill Cement property, and cross the river to the island from there)...

OK, don't laugh... here's a "quickie" map from PowerPoint ;-)

Caught a 19" brown about 4 years ago (late May) standing right about at the end of that wading path arrow, casting to the chute riffle on the south side of the island... #16 Rusty Spinner.

Thanks, i'll have to give it a go this year. My biggest inhibition to fishing in PA is finding the access points to new water...

cwwbell

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum as well and thought I'd hit you up even if this is an older thread. I've been in Philly (Center City) for ten plus years and fish Valley mostly but also like warmwater and have been trying to get into saltwater fly fishing. Looking for some good fishing buddies for hitting Valley (I know that water pretty well) or day trips to less local trout streams and to the salt. Hit me up with a PM.

Chris

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Just another follow up on Valley... that stream is a true gem. The fishing is tough but the trout are there in great numbers and there are some bigger fish there too... the trick for me is to fish it when the water is up and a bit murky. I like it when the gauge is close to 4 feet.