Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High-dollar spinning reels?

Default High-dollar spinning reels?

Well, years ago I bought a couple of entry-level spinning reels for my daughters. They are now in their late 30's and we still fish the Mammoth and June Lake every spring. This year we got into some larger stocked trout and I could readily see that the drags on these reels were struggling with the task. Now, I am considering some better grade reels and am shocked at the price one can pay for a trout reel these days. Are these reels worth the money in pure performance or are they just a status symbol for the better heeled among us? At what level should I now consider moving to? What say you? Thanks...

Default Re: High-dollar spinning reels?

I'd say what you need is a nice Lamson reel with a fly rod attached to it.

Although this is a fly fishing forum as far as spinning reels go you can't go wrong with a Shimano and they come in all price ranges. If you decide to get them into fly fishing as stated you can't go wrong with a Lamson Konic.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Oh and nice Kudu!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

I second the Shimano for the spinning reel especially the Sustain series, you don't need to have the Stella series.
    Marketing Gimmicks in the spinning reel are the same as in the fly reel.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Third for shimano. I have a sahara (got it a few years ago when they were $50, now they're $80) and a Sienna ($30) I think they are both great reels, very smooth.

I have to agree with Nick and the boz, Lamson make some nice reels. I have several and am quite happy with them. A Konic II will run you approximately $150.00 (5/6). Some here might criticize the wide spool or the weight but I am a happy camper. Everybody has their favorites.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Another vote for shimano.......well worth the money....JMHO...
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

I've never been inclined to pay a lot for a spinning reel. For some fishing such as surf fishing it may be justifiable, & to some people, just not to me. My higher priced spinning reels are my surf reels, Daiwa Emcast Plus reels, but they're not even high priced compared to some on the market.

I've always done well with Daiwa spinning reels for freshwater fishing and have several. I won't recommend a particular model, as they seem to keep changing them or discontinuing them. The ones I have are models such as the Samurai & Sweepfire, which for the price have been good for me.

I also have a couple of Mitchell Avocet II reels, which I have no complaints about either. I have several older Mitchell 300 reels too, which I've had for many years, and they still work fine.

You might also consider Wavespin reels. They're funny looking, and I was skeptical when I bought one, but they're actually made quite well, and they perform very well.

Of course, if you want to go very high end, take a look at a Van Staal.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

shimano again. the sahara to me is a good value to price ratio.

Shimanos are nice reels, I was always a big fan of the Quamtum reels, the energy PTi reels are some awesome things. I always said I was going to buy one when the time came. Glad I havent though since I havent touched spinning gear in years.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast